Lead ED Tech Emergency Services 36 hrs/week (Days) | 12-Hour Shifts | BLS Instructor Certification Required | EMS or CNA License Required
At Steward Health Care, we are committed to improving the health of our communities by delivering exceptional, personalized behavioral health care with dignity, compassion, and respect. Our continued focus on the patient experience informs our caregivers in how to provide care that is respectful of and responsive to individual patient and family preferences, needs and values.
We dedicate ourselves in the communities we serve to delivering affordable health care to all and being responsible partners. No matter what your role, as a member of the Steward family, you are a specialist in the making every patient and family feel right at home, every co-worker a key to our success, and every referring practice, a team of prized colleagues.
In support of this, we commit ourselves to the following values:
If you are seeking a fast-paced, challenging position in an organization committed to achieving and maintaining a standard of excellence in all we do, our organization may be a good fit for you.
The Lead Emergency Technician is under the direction of the Nurse Manager for equipment management and reports to the RN for clinical oversight when performing patient care and environmental support for patients.
- Role models behaviors consistent with the mission values of the hospital and Steward Healthcare.
- Performs medical assistant duties of EKG, phlebotomy, dressing changes glucometer, transport as well as other duties as assigned.
- Participates on Quality improvement teams including chairing a team, developing an opportunity statement – data collection and process flow analysis.
- Hazmat team member
- CPI instructor for ED staff.
- Acts as Preceptor to new ED tech hires.
- Assists in the development and implementation of the Technician Orientation Program.
- Oversees equipment maintenance by: problem solving and fixing malfunctioning equipment, tracking equipment out for repairs, ensures that utility rooms are clean and in accordance with JCAHO standards; rotates supplies to ensure supplies are used prior to expiration dates. Recommends changes to PAR levels as necessary. Oversees compliance of annual testing of equipment. Assists manager with departmental JCAHO readiness.
- Participates in the monitoring and correcting variances in the supply and expense budget.
- Participates in the development of the Capital Budget with the manager and staff.
- Processes purchase requisitions of capital and weekly orders for the departmental inventory.
- On a quarterly basis, evaluates inventory past based on usage.
- Obtains O2 saturation via pulse oximeter.
- Has knowledge reading use of pulse oximeter.
- Has knowledge of normal values of vital signs and O2 saturation and notifies RN of abnormal values.
- Applies O2 therapy via nasal cannula.
- Performs initials application and re-application of telemetry monitor leads and electrodes.
- Performs 12 Lead EKGs as directed.
- Assists with comfort measures including answering lights and toileting.
- Assists patient positioning.
- Demonstrates ability to respond productively in a variety of emergency situations, providing direct and indirect patient care activities.
- May provide initial emergency airway management while notifying RN of emergency situation.
- Performs non-complex sterile dressing changes and simple wound care.
- Performs stool guaiac and quality control measures.
- Assists with recording patient intake of output.
- Assist with urine collection and monitoring.
- Performs glucose testing and routine quality control via Nova system.
- Has knowledge of normal and abnormal blood glucose levels and notifies RN of abnormal values.
- Participates in post-mortem care.
- May provide care of patients requiring 1:1 observation.
- Assists in applying splints, immobilizes, casts, etc., as needed.
- Assists with computer entry as needed.
- Performs phlebotomy as directed by RN/MD.
- Maintains confidentiality.
- Reports pertinent data of RN/MD in a timely manner.
- Unit Environment:
- Restocks/prepares patient unit cubicles.
- Assists with general cleaning of department.
- Orders supplies.
- Keeps hallways clear, stores carts, equipment, etc., in appropriate storage areas.
- Approach to Job Performance/Cooperation/Motivation.
- Demonstrates a commitment of work collaboratively with other health care team members to facilitate and promote desired patient outcomes and to promote a unit environment which supports positive public relations.
- Performs responsibilities in a self-directed and cooperative manner.
- Uses time constructively and organizes assignment for maximum productivity.
- Cooperates with peer group in varying schedule assignments on time sheet.
- Reporting Requirements:
- Reports immediately to nursing staff: Any changes in patient condition warranting intervention.
- Accountable for maintaining the confidentiality and security of all patient data and information and computer password.
- Accountable for abiding by all relevant hospital department policies and procedures including safety policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
1. Commits to recognize and respect cultural diversity for all customers (internal and external).
2. Communicates effectively with internal and external customers with respect of differences in cultures, values, beliefs and ages, utilizing interpreters when needed.
- Performs all other duties as assigned
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
(Examples: Ability to work independently and take initiative; Good judgment and problem-solving skills; Communication skills; Interpersonal and organizational skills; Level of confidentiality)
- Creative thinker/Program solver.
- Able to build positive relationship with inter and intra departmentally.
- Team player.
- Able to self-reflect and demonstrate emotional intelligence.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills.
- Superior customer skills.
- Education: High School Diploma or Equivalent.
- Experience: Minimum of three years of current ED Tech experience
- Certification/Licensure: BLS Instructor Certification required
- Software/Hardware: Meditech experience preferred