Lead Med Tech-Core Lab-40 Hrs/Week-Night Shift-Every 4th Weekend
I. Position Function:
Under the direction of the Core Lab Supervisor provides the technical and quality leadership for the Core Laboratory.
Responsibilities include ensuring quality and regulatory compliance, accurate performance of all procedures, coordinating scheduling and workload, adquate staffing levels, inventory and ordering of supplies, training of new personnel, instrument maintenance and troubleshooting.
Collaborates and effectively communicates with laboratory management and staff, physicians, other health care professionals and patients.
- Reviews and evaluates Quality Control of instrumentation and procedures. Tracks changes and troubleshoots instruments and processes to ensure the quality and integrity of patient results. Informs Core Lab Supervisor of Qualtiy Control shifts or trends. Submits QC data for peer group comparison and reviews QC in absense of supervisor. Maintains QC dictionaries. Coordinates CAP survey performance and reporting.
-Reviews critical patient results and tracks compliance of Call Back procedure.
-Tracks QI monitor of critical results calls.
-Tracks data for quality improvement monitors as defined by Core Lab Supervisor.
- Assist in the collection and preparation of Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI) projects.
- Offers ideas for future CQI projects that will benefit the laboratories.
- Actively participates in the Hospital Performance Improvement Program.
- Observes functions of the section, and makes suggestions on ways to better streamline
- Oversees the administration of proficiency testing.
- Assists in the reviewing of policies and procedures, advising on new Standard Operating
Retrieves, compiles, prepares and processes reports and logs (statistical, management, patient, client) as appropriate:
- Monitors Turnaround time for identified tests
Coordinates all training for section employees in all required procedures ensuring implementation of standards for performance and directing follow through on performance improvement measures:
- Assumes responsibility for training of all new staff in all necessary areas of the section.
- Assists in the cross training of all staff, allowing for cross coverage from other disciplines.
- Monitors and maintains competency of all staff throughout the section on a annual basis.
- Makes recommendations regarding individual performance of staff.
Contributes to ongoing compliance with all applicable regulatory agencies for the section (including but not limited to AABB, JCAHO, CAP, OSHA, DPH, NCCLS, and CLIA).
Assists with point of care reporting and validation of equipment under the direction of the supervisor.
Keeps abreast of current technical/professional information.
III. Job Relationships
Reports to the Core Lab Supervisor
Assists and provides direction to the Medical Technologists in the Core Laboratory as well as Specimen Processing area.
Works collaboratively with LIS staff and other laboratory supervisors.
Reports problems, issues, client concerns as appropriate to the Lab Supervisor
Meets the reporting expectations of a Medical Technologist
Shall be accountable for maintaining the confidentiality and security of all hospital-related, medical staff-related, and patient-related data and information.
Shall be accountable for abiding by all relevant hospital and departmental policies and procedures.
Is accountable for productivity in the Core Laboratory
Is accountable for providing a safe working environment in the Laboratory including protective equipment for workers
Correctly interprets and administers hospital and departmental policies in a consistent and thorough manner.
Identifies staff developmental needs both on an individual basis and collective basis and relay information promptly to Core Lab Supervisor.
Identify problems, barriers and opportunities; uses a problem solving approach to make informed decisions in a timely manner and relay information to Core Lab Supervisor.
VI. Responsibilities/Non-Essential Functions:
In the absence of the core lab supervisor, assumes direct responsibility for operations of all disciplines of the section by addressing situations and following through on problems as needed.
Helps to develop and achieve section goals and objectives - short and long term.
Performs other related duties as required.
Minimum Education: B.S. degree in Medical Technology or related science
Minimum Experience: 3-5 years full time experience as Clinical Laboratory Technologist
Minimum Skills/abilities: Knowledge of current scientific, regulatory & technical skills as well as effective communication skills applicable to a leadership position. Proven capacity to analyze, think creatively, make quick decisive actions, motivate staff and manage difficult situations with personnel and processes.
Certification/Licensure: ASCP certification or equivalent preferred
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled