Licensed Vocational Nurse, FT (5/8s)-PAT, Day Surgery
Licensed Vocational Nurse, Full Time (5/8s) PAT-Day Surgery
We believe our people are our strength and we take our employees’ health seriously. From medical coverage and life insurance to retirement plans, paid time off and much more, Steward Health Care provides you with a variety of benefits to address your unique needs.
Health & Wellness
- Medical and Dental Insurance
- Short Term and Long Term Disability
- Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts
Retirement & Savings
- Tuition Reimbursements
- Loan Repayment
Work & Life Balance
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Low cost parking
- Up to 20% employee discount-Gift shop, onsite Café and Cafeteria
St. Joseph Medical Center is taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment – with confidence and without fear.
Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [five-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience:
- Expanded hours will allow previously cancelled procedures to be scheduled as quickly as possible.
- Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families.
- Emergency Departments are reorganized to be a safe place to treat all emergency patients.
- A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout the hospital.
- A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient safety.
You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled and professional way.
Under general supervision, performs a wide variety of direct, technical nursing care functions for acute, sub-acute, convalescent and chronic patients in accordance with nursing care plans and physician’s orders. In doing so, collects and records patient data in patients charts, assists patients with activities of daily living and prepares patients for medical examinations. Observes patients, identifies age related issues, records and reports significant symptoms, pertinent information, reactions and changes in patients/condition to Clinical Nurse.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Consistently supports and communicates the Mission, Vision and Values of St. Joseph Medical Center.
2. Follows the St. Joseph Medical Center Guidelines related to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), designed to prevent or detect unauthorized disclosure of Protected Health Information (PHI).
3. Promotes a culture of safety for patients and employees through proper identification, proper reporting, documentation and prevention of medical errors in a non-punitive environment.
4. Assists Clinical Nurses in care of patients and contributes to the development, implementation, evaluation and revision of patients’ plan of care; considers patients physiological, psychological, cultural, developmental and spiritual needs.
5. Provides direct technical nursing care to patients by performing a variety of semi- complex treatments such as changing dressings, cleansing and/or irrigating wounds and incisions, performing Foley Catheterizations and irrigation, inserts N/G’s, phlebotomy, venipuncture and so forth.
6. Assists health team members with more complex patient care and treatment procedures such as debridements, diabetic instruction, isolation procedures and so forth.
7. Routinely communicates with Charge Nurse/Clinical Coordinator regarding patient’s symptoms, reactions and progress as well as treatments performed. Nursing care provided and other information pertinent to the implementation and evaluation of patient needs and care is routinely documented.
8. Observes patients for physical and emotional reactions to medications and treatments, reporting any irregularities to appropriate medical and/or nursing personnel. Provides patient with support and encouragement during times of stress.
9. Assists physicians and Clinical Nurses with examinations and treatments; prepares patients; equipment and supplies; performs other tasks as requested.
- Bathe, feeds, give back rubs, assists patients with ambulation and provides other routine accommodative services for patient comfort and well being.
- Maintains a clean and orderly patient environment
- Assists in orienting new Associates regarding unit policies and procedures.
13. Attends internal and external educational meetings in order to maintain and enhance
nursing skills and clinical competencies
14. Monitors patients requiring continuous cardiac monitoring (telemetry).
15. Supportive of the compliance program set forth by IASIS and demonstrated by:
- Upholds the Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance.
- Adheres to and helps to enforce all compliance policies relevant to his/her area.
- Assures timely compliance education as requested by the Regional Safety & Compliance Officer and/or through corporate initiatives.
16. Sets an example to all staff in their daily activities.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- One year clinical experience as an LVN is preferred.
- Current LVN permit or licensure issued by the Board of Vocational Nurse Examiners of the State of Texas
- Current American Heart Association, or American Red Cross (BLS) certification is required.
EDUCATION & TRAINING:
- Knowledge of patient care treatment, planning and assessment at a level normally acquired through completion of an approved, accredited School of Practical Nursing program in order to be able to provide patient care.
- Interpersonal skills necessary in order to interact with patients, families and physicians
- Ability to demonstrate empathy and sensitivity necessary to elicit patients cooperation and allay apprehensions.
- Analytical skills necessary in order to gather and interpret quantitative and qualitative data relevant to relatively non-complex patient care problems.
- Additional languages preferred.
- Basic computer knowledge.
For physical demands of position, including vision, hearing, repetitive motion and environment, see following description.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position without compromising client care.
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.