LTA II - 30 hours - 0830 - 1900
Location: Good Samaritan Medical Center
Posted Date: 6/22/2020
|Performs a variety of routine duties to assist in laboratory processes, such as, performing venipunctures on both inpatient and outpatient population in various areas of the hospital. Performs a variety of functions related to accurate and safe collection and processing of laboratory specimens from patients of all ages. Follows the procedure manual and operates in accordance with the policies of the hospital.|
• Registers and orders specimens received from clients into LIS.
• Receives, verifies, and enters patient, test, and information into LIS computer system according to policy.
• Generate barcode labels, label specimens, print outstanding specimen list.
• Respond to telephone inquiries regarding specimen, patient test results and related information; forwards technical questions to lab Section Head or laboratory director, as appropriate.
• Distributes Specimens to various areas within the laboratory.
• Files requisitions.
• Maintains safe working environment.
• Acts as a resource to and assists in the training of other personnel.
• Troubleshoots outpatient requisitions as necessary.
• Performs other clinical laboratory assistant duties and responsibilities as required at the direction of lab supervisor.
• Photocopies requisitions for billing/compliance team requiring ICD-10 coding and, participates in billing inquiries as requested.
-Perform phlebotomy on inpatient and outpatient populations using the stated procedural policies.
-Perform therapeutic phlebotomies
• Monitors work flow using the specimen tracker.
• Reviews Outstanding Specimen Logs (OSR) to assure all tests have been obtained. And notates any time constraints in meditech
• Adheres to proper handling of specimens.
• Resolves patient identification problems with appropriate care unit. Contacts care units to report specimen problems such as inaccurate labeling, incorrect sample, improper packaging and handling. Records events in Logs.
• Follows standard precaution and wears PPE to perform task as indicated in the Safety Manual.
• Communicates with lead or supervisory personnel regarding any unusual problems.
• Complies with established departmental policies, procedures, and objectives.
• Demonstrates use of quality improvement in daily operations.
• Receives specimens from couriers and checks manifests to verify appropriate count.
• Sort’s specimen collection labels, adding, canceling and combining test to decrease repeat venipunctures.
• Answers telephones and communicates pertinent information. Send specimens and carriers to various sites using pneumatic tube. Performs minor troubleshooting of pneumatic tube, placing a work order when necessary.
Specimen Processing/Send Outs:
• Processes specimens including centrifugation, aliquoting, labeling.
• Prepares specimens to be sent to referral laboratories; obtains proper detailed information pertaining to sample requirements such as: test codes, appropriate specimen type and volume needed, process and deliver specimens to appropriate department.
-Package and send specimens to the appropriate Reference Laboratory per specimen requirements.
• This job may also include plant specimens on correct media and incubate them properly.
All responsibilities are essential job functions.
• Performs assigned duties to ensure, an adequate inventory of supplies for assigned area. Monitors inventory levels and stores equipment and supplies in a neat and orderly manner.
• Maintains accurate records of processes performed, using manual and computer-based systems.
• Communicates with charge or supervisory personnel regarding unusual problems.
• Follows all safety (including infection control and hazardous material) policies and procedures. Notifies lab Section Head of unsafe conditions.
• Successfully participates in annual Health and Safety Training and Compliance activities.
• Complies with all laboratory quality, health and safety policies, regulations and requirements and with established departmental policies, procedures and objectives.
• Performs other similar and related laboratory duties in assigned area as required or directed for which there are documented competencies.
Respects diverse views and approaches, and contributes in maintaining an environment of professionalism, tolerance, civility and acceptance toward all employees, patients and visitors.
|Required Knowledge & Skills:|
• Dexterity sufficient to manipulate instrumentation.
• Ability to read, understand and follow written procedures.
• Ability to communicate adequately with all laboratory clients.
• Basic clerical/data entry skills preferred.
• Excellent Client relations skills required.
|High School Diploma or Equivelant|
|Graduate of Phlebotomy Traning program preferred|
|Phlebotomy Certification Preferred, ASCP certification/elligible Pre|