LTA- Part-time, 24 hours/wk
About Steward Health Care
Nearly a decade ago, Steward Health Care System emerged as a different kind of health care company designed to usher in a new era of wellness. One that provides our patients better, more proactive care at a sustainable cost, our providers unrivaled coordination of care, and our communities greater prosperity and stability.
As the country’s largest physician-led, tax paying, integrated health care system, our doctors can be certain that we share their interests and those of their patients. Together we are on a mission to revolutionize the way health care is delivered - creating healthier lives, thriving communities and a better world.
Steward is among the nation’s largest and most successful accountable care organizations (ACO), with more than 5,500 providers and 43,000 health care professionals who care for 12.3 million patients a year through a closely integrated network of hospitals, multispecialty medical groups, urgent care centers, skilled nursing facilities and behavioral health centers.
Based in Dallas, Steward currently operates 39 hospitals across Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Utah.
For more information, visit www.steward.org.
Laboratory Technician Assistant-Part-Time, day shift, 24 hours/week, every other weekends required, holidays required as needed
Performs a variety of routine duties to assist in laboratory processes, such as, performing venipunctures on both
inpatient and outpatient population in various areas of the Medical Center as well as accurate and safe collection
and processing of laboratory specimens from patients of all ages. Follows the procedure manual and operates in
accordance with the policies of the Medical Center.
· Registers and orders specimens received from clients into LIS.
· Receives, verifies, and enters patient, test, and information into LIS computer system according to policy.
· Generate barcode labels, label specimens, print outstanding specimen list.
· Respond to telephone inquiries regarding specimen, patient test results and related information, forwards technical questions to lab Section Head or laboratory director, as appropriate.
· Distributes Specimens to various areas within the laboratory.
· Files requisitions.
· Maintains safe working environment.
· Acts as a resource to and assists in the training of other personnel.
· Troubleshoots outpatient requisitions as necessary.
· Performs other Laboratory Assistant duties and responsibilities as required at the direction of management.
· Photocopies requisitions for billing/compliance team requiring ICD-10 coding and, participates in billing inquiries as requested.
· Perform phlebotomy on inpatient and outpatient populations using the stated procedural policies.
· Perform therapeutic phlebotomies.
· Monitors workflow using the specimen tracker.
· Reviews Outstanding Specimen Logs (OSR) to assure all tests have been obtained. And notates any time constraints in Meditech
· Adheres to proper handling of specimens.
· Resolves patient identification problems with appropriate care unit. Contacts care units to report specimen problems such as inaccurate labeling, incorrect sample, improper packaging and handling.
· Records events in Logs.
· Follows standard precaution and wears PPE to perform task as indicated in the Safety Manual.
· Communicates with lead or management personnel regarding any unusual problems.
· Complies with established departmental policies, procedures, and objectives.
· Demonstrates use of quality improvement in daily operations.
· Receives specimens from couriers and checks manifests to verify appropriate count.
· Sorts specimen collection labels, adding, canceling and combining test to decrease repeat venipunctures.
· Answers telephones and communicates pertinent information. Send specimens and carriers to various sites using pneumatic tube. Performs minor troubleshooting of pneumatic tube, placing a work order when necessary.
Specimen Processing/Send Outs:
· Processes specimens including centrifugation, aliquoting, labeling.
· Prepares specimens to be sent to referral laboratories; obtains proper detailed information pertaining to sample requirements such as: test codes, appropriate specimen type and volume needed, process and deliver specimens to appropriate department.
· Package and send specimens to the appropriate Reference Laboratory per specimen requirements.
· This job may also include planting specimens on correct media and incubate them properly.
· All responsibilities are essential job functions.
· Performs assigned duties to ensure, an adequate inventory of supplies for assigned area. Monitors inventory levels and stores equipment and supplies in a neat and orderly manner.
· Maintains accurate records of processes performed, using manual and computer-based systems.
· Communicates with charge or supervisory personnel regarding unusual problems.
· Follows all safety (including infection control and hazardous material) policies and procedures. Notifies lab Section Head of unsafe conditions.
· Successfully participates in annual Health and Safety Training and Compliance activities.
· Complies with all laboratory quality, health and safety policies, regulations, and requirements and with established departmental policies, procedures and objectives.
· Performs other similar and related laboratory duties in assigned area as required or directed for which there are documented competencies.
· Respects diverse views and approaches, and contributes in maintaining an environment of professionalism, tolerance, civility and acceptance toward all employees, patients and visitors.
Required Knowledge & Skills:
• Dexterity sufficient to manipulate instrumentation.
• Ability to read, understand and follow written procedures.
• Ability to communicate adequately with all laboratory clients.
• Basic clerical/data entry skills preferred.
• Excellent Client relations skills required.
High School Diploma or Equivalent
Graduate of Phlebotomy Training program preferred
Phlebotomy Certification Preferred, ASCP certification/eligible Preferred
Steward Health Care is proud to be a minority, physician owned organization. Diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging are at the foundation of the care we provide, the community services we support and all our employment practices. We do not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!Apply Online
Job Status: Part Time
Job Reference #: 128498