Location: Good Samaritan Medical Center
Posted Date: 6/1/2020
- Responsible for the day to day operations of the Interpreter services department
- Responsible for the scheduling and staffing operations of the Interpreter Services department providing support to staff.
- Prepares daily and monthly interpreter’s schedules to ensure 24/7 coverage for all languages.
- Resolves scheduling issues staff members may encounter. Schedules contract interpreting agencies or telephonic interpreting agencies to provide needed services when necessary and in a cost efficient manner. Verifies schedules as needed, gives any reports of service complaints or problems to the System Director
- Provides and creates a printed resource catalog or other resources which includes material on cultural problems and beliefs, suggestions for their resolution, information on cultural variations and backgrounds, translations of common phrases and words, listing of all information translated by the interpreter services, and lists of various pamphlets and written material available and within the surrounding community.
- Triages and prioritizes calls; assigns interpreters as required. Coordinate interpreters for both emergency and on-going services. Communicates with interpreters on the job.
- Tracks interpreters’ locations and statuses. Tracks documentation, ensuring that all required documentation is completed.
- Ensures office coverage . May provide interpreter services when needed
- Reviews receipt of scheduling information from staff and departments and creates daily schedule of Interpreter Services staff to maximize productivity.
- Coordinates all unplanned sick days and modifies schedule as needed. Resolves all discrepancies.
- Works with department staff to resolve day to day issues and reports concerns to System Directo when appropriate
- Tracks trends within department such as patient flow and monitoring wait time for interpreters. Analyze data and make recommendations for quality and process improvement.
- Orients new employees to departmental procedures.
- Resolves all customer and patient related interpreter issues and refers to Director if needed.
- Complies with established departmental and hospital policies, procedures, and objectives.
- Attends variety of meetings, conferences, and seminars as required or directed.
- Demonstrates use of quality improvement in daily operations.
- Complies with all health and safety regulations and requirements.
- Respects diverse views and approaches, and contributes in maintaining an environment of professionalism, tolerance, civility and acceptance toward all employees, patients and visitors.
- Performs other similar and related duties as required or directed.
- Manages the department to help the Hospital accomplish its mission and financial goals.Work with other hospital departments and community liaison groups to reach out to linguistic and ethnically diverse community
- Participate in Community based programs representing the hospital when directed to
- Help to coordinate translation process when requests are received.
- Participates in monthly orientation for all new employees
- Remains aware of latest trends in interpreting services by participating in professional development programs and, subsequently, implements best practices.
- Performs other duties as assigned
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Ability to set priorities and make independent decisions.
- Fluency in a second language written and oral preferred.
- Computer skills and familiarity with Windows, word processing, systems.
- Knowledge of medical terminology and health care systems preferred.
- Knowledge of and sensitivity to cultural diversity.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Formal training in medical interpreting.
- Bicultural and bilingual in Spanish preferred.
- Fluent in English and Spanish; both written and oral.
- Knowledge of the latest trends in the field of medical interpreting.
- Knowledge of cultural competence and cultural competence training certification preferred.
- Experience demonstrating professional competency, leadership characteristics and managerial skills.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience preferred.
- Experience (Type & Length): Three to five years of management and/or supervisory experience in a health care environment and/or medical interpreter experience.
- Certification/Licensure: Unless certification, licensure or registration is required, an equivalent combination of education and experience which provides proficiency in the areas of responsibility listed in this description may be substituted for the above/
- Software/Hardware: Computer knowledge
- Other: Department-specific competencies, including age-specific competencies and their measurements, will be developed and maintained in the individual departments. The competencies will be maintained and attached to the departmental job description. Responsible managers will review competencies with position incumbents.