Location: Steward Health Care
Posted Date: 3/24/2022
The position of Manager, Payroll manages and coordinates the activities of workers engaged in performing transactions in the Payroll department. The position is responsible for managing the development, implementation, and evaluation of all payroll and staffing systems.
The Manager, Payroll shall have the authority to implement and execute all policies and procedures deemed necessary to meet the operational goals of this department.
The Manager, Payroll shall have the authority to maintain certain centralized and confidentiality functions in the Meditech and Kronos databases and to keep Managers and Timekeepers aware of correct procedures. The Manager shall have the authority to audit department timekeeping practices and instruct improvements.
This position implements and maintains control procedures by performing the essential duties and responsibilities listed below.
- Directs and is primary authority in the payment of wages in accordance with Federal and State laws and regulations and Steward policies and guidelines;
- Coordinates payroll agency activities for Steward
- Directs and is the primary authority in the payment of purchases and services in accordance with Federal and State laws and regulations and Steward policies and guidelines;
- Determines correct payment method of Employees and Independent Contractors;
- Determines and controls security rights to the Payroll modules;
- Oversees and manages vendor relationships;
- Responsible for the biweekly printing of payroll checks and direct deposit advices;
- Responsible for the electronic submission of direct deposits;
- Responsible for safeguarding all hardware, software, and materials (such as printers, blank check stock, MICR Cartridges, Signature Cartridges, etc.) related to payroll processing;
- Directs compilation and preparation of payments for employee withholdings such as union dues, deferred compensation, and credit unions;
- Directs compilation and preparation of payments for court ordered earnings garnishments such as child support, tax levies, and creditor garnishments;
- Directs the deposit of Federal and State taxes using the Electronic Federal and State Tax Payment Systems;
- Responsible for complete and timely filing of all Quarterly Federal Tax Returns, State Tax, and Wage Reports;
- Monitors proposed and new State and/or Federal regulations surrounding Payroll and ensures Steward compliance in these areas.
- Interprets company policies and government regulations affecting payroll procedures;
- Responsible for the integrity of employee wage information;
- Coordinates with and oversees preparation of employee W-2 forms;
- Responsible for distribution of employee W-2 forms;
- Maintains all Payroll processing schedules;
- Responsible for preparation of internal and external audit-related schedules and activities;
- Reviews payroll data for accuracy;
- Accessible/available to meet other departmental needs on a continuing basis;
- Manages errors and complaints;
- Implements and maintains work procedures, prepares work schedules, and expedites work flow;
- Maintains working relationship with departments directly involved with daily activities; (i.e. Information Systems and Human Resources);
- Maintains diplomatic working relationship with all Steward, SMG, and SHCN personnel to ensure optimum performance and efficiency of Steward operations;
- Issues written and oral instructions;
- Assigns duties and examines work for exactness, neatness, and conformance to policies and procedures;
- Studies and standardizes procedures to improve efficiency of subordinates;
- Maintains harmony among workers and resolves grievances;
- Responsible for the training of departmental staff;
- Responsible for the education and training of all Steward on payroll and related policies and procedures; and
- Attends regional and national American Payroll Association meetings to stay current with legislative and regulatory issues, payroll technology, and management.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations;
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals;
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, regulatory agencies, employees, and the general public;
- Ability to work with and apply mathematical concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations;
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions; and
- Ability to interpret a variety of technical instructions and deal with variables in analyses.
- Education: Bachelor's degree from a four-year College or University.
- Experience (Type & Length): Five to ten years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Certification/Licensure: CPP preferred
- Software/Hardware: Ability to work with Microsoft Office applications including Excel spreadsheet and Word; Experience in the operation of accounting systems, specifically Meditech and Kronos.