Med Lab Tech Class II
Medical Lab Technician II's perform a variety of routine and specialized diagnostic medical lab tests as requested by healthcare staff according to established protocols and procedures.
Union Benefits to help you live well!
- Low cost Medical/Prescription Drug Insurance through BCBS
- Dental and Vision Insurance
- 401k via Fidelity for eligible employees with company match
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Worldwide Travel Assistance
- Short- and Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Auto and Home Insurance
- Hospital Indemnity Insurance
Essential Functions and Duties:
- Plans and organizes all assigned work according to defined policies/procedures for a specific laboratory or as directed by immediate supervisor.
- Evaluates test results using laboratory specific procedures defined in the dept. policy/procedure manual.
- Performs stat testing according to laboratory policy or as directed by immediate supervisor.
- Telephone all panic results immediately to appropriate nursing or medical staff member as directed by laboratory policy/procedure manual and as directed by immediate supervisor.
- Complete all work sheets related to assigned work according to instructions in the laboratory policy/procedure manual or as directed by immediate supervisor before the end of shift.
- Perform required preventive maintenance according to procedure and schedules defined in department manuals.
- Initiate appropriate action as indicated by shifts in QC data.
- Correctly run proper controls for each assay concurrent with all patient assays.
- Plot values on quality control charts and enters data into laboratory computer immediately upon completion of quality control procedure.
- Evaluate, according to specific instructions for individual laboratory, quality control results prior to reporting any patient results.
- Document all corrective actions taken as a result of control values exceeding tolerance limits 100% of the time.
- Complies with all safety policies, and procedures 100% of the time.
- Maintains universal precautions with no incidence of failure to comply with lab policies and procedures.
- Practices segregation of biohazard trash with no incidences of failure.
- Safely handles needles and biological specimens with no incidence of failure to comply with policies and procedures.
Education and Requirements:
- Candidate must have completed an MLT or MT degree program.
- ASCP board certification preferred.
- Candidate must be generalist with some transfusion medicine knowledge.
- Experience in basic transfusion medicine is also required. This is a generalist position and knowledge of all aspects of clinical laboratory is expected.