TITLE: Medical Assistant
DEPARTMENT: Ambulatory Care
REPORTS TO: Practice Manager
At Steward Health Care System, we are committed to improving the health of our communities by delivering exceptional, personalized behavioral health care with dignity, compassion and respect. Our continued focus on the patient experience informs our caregivers in how to provide care that is respectful of and responsive to individual patient and family preferences, needs and values.
We dedicate ourselves in the communities we serve to delivering affordable health care to all and being responsible partners. No matter what your role, as a member of the Steward family, you are a specialist in the making every patient and family feel right at home, every co-worker a key to our success, and every referring practice, a team of prized colleagues.
In support of this, we commit ourselves to the following values:
If you are seeking a fast-paced, challenging position in an organization committed to achieving and maintaining a standard of excellence in all we do, our organization may be a good fit for you.
An allied health professional that supports the work of physicians and other health professionals in the clinic setting.
- Actively participate in clinic patient flow, informs physicians of patients’ arrival and room assignment.
- Accompanies and/or assists patients to the exam room in a professional manner; setting up the exam room and preparing the patient.
- Obtains patient vital signs, to include height, weight, blood pressure, temperature, pulse and respiration. Pulse-oximetry if needed.
- Enter triage and other data into electronic health record in use.
- Assist physicians during examinations and procedures
- Performs EKGs, Labs including UA, urine pregnancy, quick strep testing, stool testing, finger sticks for blood sugars.
- Perform or assist in the following procedures: vision and ear lavage, simple dressing changes, peak flows, nebulizer treatments, fleets enema administration.
- Explains test procedures to patients
- May assist with other support activities, to include packaging and sterilizing equipment and supplies
- Maintain patient areas clean and safe
- Maintain and improve knowledge and expertise through continuous training
- Take inventory of supplies, equipment and medication
- Ensure clinical areas are well stocked.
- Ensure expiration dates have not lapsed.
- Communicate problems and concerns to supervisors
- Actively participate in team huddles and staff meetings
- Copying/faxing medical records and related documents
- Provide excellent customer service by demonstrating positive behaviors towards patients, families/visitors, providers, other department staff, and co-workers.
- Perform quality assurance activities
- Initiate, process and follow up on referrals/authorizations.
- Properly import vital signs into the electronic medical record.
- Locate and follow computerized orders.
- Document care and services into the electronic medical record.
- Review clinic schedules; ensure that lab and imaging results are available for physician review.
- Attend all training classes to maintain computer skills.
- Pass all proficiency tests.
- Performs other duties as assigned and/or needed.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Ability to read, write, speak and comprehend the English language.
- Computer skills required
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills required; good team member.
- Understands basic medical terminology
- Proficiency in hospital and physician practice computer systems such as Meditech, Athena and other comparable systems.
- Phlebotomy skills for basic venipuncture.
- Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
- Commits to recognize and respect cultural diversity for all customers (internal and external).
- Understands routine lab and imaging studies including specimen processing, lab requisition, and sorting results.
- Communicates effectively with internal and external customers with respect of differences in cultures, values, beliefs and ages, utilizing interpreters when needed.
- Education: High school diploma; graduate from a medical assistant school required.
- Experience (Type & Length): One to three years of experience of general patient care (i.e. hospital, physician’s office or ambulatory care setting) preferred.
- Certification/Licensure: Certification or eligible for certification as a Medical Assistant required.
- Software/Hardware: Proficiency with electronic health record systems (e.g. eCW, Athena, MediTech) preferred