Medical Assistant I
This position is to function as a member of the clinical team and completes assigned daily clinical operations to ensure smooth day-to-day operations in the SMG physician practice. The Medical Assistant I must maintain a professional, positive manner when talking with patients (and all customers) in-person, over the phone or via email.
Responsibilities for Medical Assistant I
- Works closely with providers to assist in delivering world-class care to patients.
- Provides a high level of customer service to all new and existing patients of the practice.
- Rooms patient and prepares the patient for the provider visit.
- Takes vital signs as necessary. Responsible for accurate blood pressures, temperature, pulse, pulse oximetry and entering accurately into EMR.
- Records patient history, chief complaint, pharmacy information, prescription list, etc. into EMR for physical.
- Obtains required consents, completes required forms as needed for specific visit types.
- Performs in office testing and EKG’s as needed. Required to perform controls on certain in-office tests.
- Assists provider with in-office medical procedures.
- Properly labels all specimens, adhering to SMG policy.
- Chaperones Providers as required.
- Administers vaccines and medications as ordered by provider, adhering to SMG policies.
- Responsible to follow TCM (Transitional Care Management), CCM (Chronic Care Management) and RPM (Remote Patient Monitoring) workflows if active in the practice.
- Stock rooms and monitors expiration dates of exam room supplies.
- Monitors and logs medication/vaccine refrigerator temperatures.
- Assists with incoming calls as needed by answering, triaging, and routing telephone calls appropriately as needed.
- Follows scheduling rules and direct schedules patient visits in other SMG practices.
- Review schedules (clinical pre-visit review) to ensure the provider has what the patient visit is for. Example: results, consult notes, hospital notes etc. If not available, contacts facility or other practices to obtain them.
- Schedules patient appointments and appropriate testing as ordered by provider upon check out from appointments or any other time as requested.
- Performs outreach to select patient groups as directed for patient care and quality and then schedules specialty appointments and testing as required.
- Responsible to inform manager of clinical supply needs or assists with ordering.
- Responsible to obtain prior authorizations and/or insurance referrals as per practice need.
- Works assigned clinical buckets timely.
- Must be able to work independently with little supervision.
- Adheres to SMG policies.
- Always uses discretion to ensure patient confidentiality.
- Performs other duties as requested.
- Strong customer service excellence expected.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills required.
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- Education from approved medical assistant program or equivalent.
- One to three years as a medical assistant preferred.
- Experience with EMR strongly preferred. (Athena preferred but not required)
About Steward Health Care
Steward Health Care is the largest private, for-profit health care network in the United States. The company is owned and led by a management team of Steward physicians. Headquartered in Dallas, Texas, Steward employs more than 40,000 health care professionals and operates 35 hospitals across the United States and in the countries of Malta and Colombia which regularly receive top awards for quality and safety. The Steward network includes multiple urgent care centers and skilled nursing facilities, substantial behavioral health services, more than 7,000 beds under management, and approximately 2.2 million full risk covered lives through the company's managed care and health insurance services.
The Steward Health Care Network includes more than 5,000 physicians across 800 communities who help to provide more than 12 million patient encounters annually. Steward Medical Group, the company's employed physician group, provides more than six million patient encounters per year. The Steward Hospital Group operates hospitals in Malta, Colombia and nine states across the U.S., including Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Utah. For more information, visit www.steward.org.
Steward Medical Group is taking additional necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in safe, carefully managed environment – with confidence and without fear.
Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [three-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience.
- Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families.
- A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout our facilities.
- A strictly controlled visitor and mask policy is required for patient and colleague safety.