Medical Assistant / Patient Service Spec
This position is to function as a member of both the clinical and administrative team and complete all assigned daily tasks to ensure smooth day to day operations in the SMG physician practice. The Medical Assistant I /Patient Service Specialist (PSS) I must maintain a professional, positive manner when talking with patients (and all customers) in-person or over the phone or via email.
- Works close with providers to assist in delivering world class care to patients.
- Record patient history, chief complaint, pharmacy information, prescription list, etc. into EMR for physical.
- Obtains required consents, completes required forms as needed for specific visit types.
- Performs in office testing as needed. Required to perform controls on certain in office tests.
- Chaperones Providers as required.
- Administers vaccines and medications as ordered by provider following SMG policies.
- Stocks rooms and monitors expiration of supplies in exam rooms.
- Assists with incoming calls as needed by answering, triaging, and routing telephone calls appropriately as needed.
- Register’s patients in EMR and verifies information including demographics and obtains accurate health insurance information. Conduct eligibility checks to ensure insurance is reflected accurately.
- Schedules patients' appointments and appropriate testing for patients as directed.
- Follows scheduling rules and direct schedules patient visits in other SMG practices.
- Performs pre visit planning daily for all upcoming scheduled appointments.
- Performs outreach to select patient groups as directed for patient care and quality and schedules specialty appointments and testing as required.
- Responsible to inform manager of all clinical or administrative supply needs or assists with ordering.
- Responsible to obtain prior authorizations and/or insurance referrals as per practice need.
- Must be able to work independently with little supervision.
- Adheres to all SMG policies.
- Always uses discretion to ensure patient confidentiality.
- Performs all other duties as requested.
- Strong customer service
- excellence expected.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills required.
- Experience with EMR strongly preferred. (Athena a plus)
- Experience with Microsoft Office, Word, Excel, and Outlook preferred.
Education & Experience
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- Education from approved medical assistant program or equivalent preferred.
- One to three years as a medical assistant preferred
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer, Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.
This position is subject to the COVID-19 Vaccination Policy for Steward Health Care Workforce. Employees in this position will be required to provide adequate proof of vaccination for COVID-19 by an FDA-approved vaccine prior to starting work. Steward will consider requests for exemptions from this vaccine requirement on the basis of medical condition or sincerely held religious belief in accordance with applicable Federal laws.
Steward Medical Group is taking additional necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in safe, carefully managed environment – with confidence and without fear.
Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [three-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience.
- Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families.
- A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout our facilities.
- A strictly controlled visitor and mask policy is required for patient and colleague safety.
ABOUT STEWARD HEALTH CARE SYSTEM:
Steward Health Care’s physician-led model was created to provide patient’s access to the highest-quality care at a sustainable cost, providing personalized, and coordinated ongoing medical services that positively impact patients’ physical, emotional, and mental well-being.
Founded in 2010, Steward Health Care is the nation’s largest accountable care organization (ACO), with more than 5,500 providers and 43,000 health care professionals who care for 12.3 million patients a year through its network of hospitals, urgent care centers, skilled nursing facilities, and behavioral health services. Steward received a perfect 100% quality rating by the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Service’s (CMS) Medicare Shared Savings Program (MSSP) in 2020.
Based in Dallas, Steward is the largest private, physician-led health care network and currently operates 39 hospitals across Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Utah. For more information, visit www.steward.org.