Medical Assistant/Secretary - 8 hours
At Steward Health Care System, we are committed to improving the health of our communities by delivering exceptional, personalized behavioral health care with dignity, compassion and respect. Our continued focus on the patient experience informs our caregivers in how to provide care that is respectful of and responsive to individual patient and family preferences, needs and values.
We dedicate ourselves in the communities we serve to delivering affordable health care to all and being responsible partners. No matter what your role, as a member of the Steward family, you are a specialist in the making every patient and family feel right at home, every co-worker a key to our success, and every referring practice, a team of prized colleagues.
In support of this, we commit ourselves to the following values:
If you are seeking a fast-paced, challenging position in an organization committed to achieving and maintaining a standard of excellence in all we do, our organization may be a good fit for you
The medical assistant position serves to coordinate the daily health care delivery system in the medical office. The position covers a wide range of responsibilities that entail a combination of providing direct care and technical and administrative assistance to patients, physicians and other staff in office. On a daily basis, the incumbent will perform a wide variety of computer, referral, clerical, scheduling, and supply functions necessary for the operation of the medical practice with minimal supervision
- Notifies physician and other practice staff of any missing information related to patient encounters/visits
- Obtains diagnostic reports/medical information from outside sources
- Secures discharge record and/or test/procedure results from source where service was scheduled
- Prepares patient record for office visit and assures that record is complete
- Prepares letters for physician signature
- Performs patient referrals and ensures that complete patient and billing information is provided for insurance pre-authorizations
- Greets patients and offers assistance within scope of responsibility
- Answers the telephone in a prompt and courteous manner
- Responds to patient and staff questions in an appropriate manner
- Triages phone calls for appropriate administrative and/or clinical response
- Notifies physician and/or other clinical staff of emergent problems and Tracks the same to conclusion
- Verifies patient insurance information at the time of visits
Minimum Education Requirements: Training and certification in medical assistant curriculum or equivalent. High School Diploma required
Minimum Work Experience: Minimum of one year working in medical practice or equivalent experience preferred; and/or graduate of a certified Medical Assistant training program. Previous medical assistant experience and knowledge of medical practice operations preferred
Other skills and abilities: Knowledge of medical terminology, interpreting physician orders, executing medical referrals, medical billing concepts and direct medical assisting. Bilingual highly desired
Equipment/Software/Certification: Previous experience with hospital and medical practice billing/scheduling/information systems preferred. Basic computer literacy required.