Medical Lab Tech, Full-time Eves
The Medical Laboratory Technician performs all aspects of testing, reporting of results, and related duties necessary for the analysis of blood, body fluid and other samples in the Blood Bank, Chemistry, Hematology and Microbiology Laboratory Departments.
- Ability to function in all areas of the clinical laboratory: blood bank, chemistry, hematology, microbiology, serology & immunology and perform moderate and high-complexity testing.
- Performs, evaluates, interprets, correlates and validates the accuracy of laboratory results and procedures on a variety of biological specimens using manual and automated techniques.
- Monitors Quality Control systems to ensure acceptability and accuracy of results.
- Performs instrument function checks and troubleshoots problems, completes all necessary documentation and alerts supervisor of problems. Utilizes “technical hot lines” appropriately for assistance with instrument problems or maintenance.
- Assists with inventory management by documenting “open” and “expiration” dates on supplies as required by policy and promptly notifying supervisor of low inventory. Key techs are assigned department ordering responsibilities for inventory management. Utilizes resources in an efficient and cost-effective manner.
- Maintains an organized work environment to enable another tech to take over job duties easily, restocks supplies as end of shift.
- Demonstrates knowledge of expected lab values for the neonate, pediatric, adolescent, adult and geriatric patient.
- Demonstrates knowledge of testing procedures and technologies.
- Efficiently and accurately reports results, including timely communication of stat and critical results with appropriate documentation in the LIS.
- Accurately identifies patients and specimens per policies.
- Interacts professionally with the Director of Clinical Laboratory, Medical Director and clinical laboratory personnel.
- Consults with other departments, as appropriate, to collaborate in patient care and performance improvement activities.
- Performs all aspects of patient care in an environment that optimizes patient safety and reduces the likelihood of medical/health care errors.
- Follows standard precautions at all times, correctly utilizes all PPE.
- Performs venipuncture and other specimen collections, understands order of draw, collection of blood cultures and specimen processing and all other aspects of phlebotomy. Assists phlebotomists with technical questions.
- Manages and operates laboratory equipment safely and correctly, complies with alarm procedures. Notifies supervisor and Biomed of problems and completes all necessary documentation.
- Ensures specimen appropriateness and maintains specimen integrity through-out collection, testing and storage.
- Maintains current knowledge of hospital policy, CAP, JCAHO, state and other regulatory requirements.
- Demonstrates the ability to be flexible, organized and function under stressful situations.
- Demonstrates the value of team concept on a consistent basis.
- Responsible to assist in training of other laboratory professionals and students.
- Demonstrates proficient use of the Laboratory Information System, instrument specific software and other software in use in the laboratory.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Bachelor of Science degree or Associate of Science degree in Medical Technology, Chemistry or Microbiology.
- Ability to effectively communicate in English, both verbally and in writing.
- Basic computer knowledge.
- Education: Associates degree (MLT) in Medical Technology, Chemistry or Microbiology
- Experience: 2-3 years clinical experience preferred
- Certification/Licensure: ASCP/AMT Certification preferred
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic
Important COVID message:
Please note, Nashoba Valley Medical Center is taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment - with confidence and without fear. Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [five-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience: Expanded hours will allow previously cancelled procedures to be scheduled as quickly as possible. Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families. Emergency Departments are reorganized to be a safe place to treat all emergency patients. A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout the hospital. A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient safety. You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled and professional way.
This position is subject to the COVID-19 Vaccination Policy for Steward Health Care Workforce. Employees in this position will be required to provide adequate proof of vaccination for COVID-19 by an FDA-approved vaccine prior to starting work. Steward will consider requests for exemptions from this vaccine requirement on the basis of medical condition or sincerely held religious belief in accordance with applicable Federal laws.