Medical Secretary IV
The medical secretary is the first point of contact for all patients. This individual will access patient’s records and verify according to procedure. The secretary will inform appropriate staff and/or clinicians of patient’s arrival and will be responsible for booking of appointments in AthenaNet. The Medical Secretary will handle patient records in confidence in accordance with HIPPA.
- Answer phones
- Record all outgoing voicemail messages and check incoming messages
- Coordinate physician schedules within department and with medical procedure unit
- Schedule procedural and office visit appointments for physicians , enter in Meditech and ECW
- Obtain all necessary insurance approvals and authorizations for all appointments
- Checking all outgoing billing sheets and daily notes for completeness, scan through computer system to billing company
- Fielding patient billing issues and concerns to appropriate contact
- Enter facility charges into Meditech daily
- Pulling charts and preparing for upcoming week
- Mailing out instruction sheets to all procedural patients prior to appointment; new patient packets to new patients prior to appointment
- Mailing out all notes to referring physicians and primary care physicians
- Calling to confirm all patient appointments
- Verify all patient’s insurance eligibility and copayments
- Front desk duties including checking patients in, making sure all necessary paperwork is filled out, scheduling follow up appointments upon patient check out.
- Collecting copayments, writing out receipts for all cash payments.
- Cleaning exam rooms between patients
- Submit drug prior authorization requests to insurance companies.
- Observe procedures when requested by physician.
- Administer random toxicology screening when requested by physician, including all paperwork, reviewing patient medication list and preparing specimen for shipment.
- Take new patient information from referring physician offices and following up to ensure all needed information is received before scheduling patient.
- Taking inpatient consultation requests and preparing necessary information such as labs, studies, reports, and medication lists
- Copy all outgoing prescriptions written by physician.
- Coordinating and obtaining insurance approvals for ancillary services such as physical therapy, MRI, TENS units, etc
- Checking all outgoing medical records
- Typing letters and other requested documents as needed.
- Screening all incoming mail and distributing to the appropriate party
- Fielding patient problems and concerns
- Coordinating spinal cord stimulator program which includes organizing all pre-trial appointments, insurance approval for temporary implants, scheduling follow up appointments, and coordinating with neurosurgeons office if patient is moving on to permanent implant.
- Other tasks that may be requested by physician or nursing staff.
- Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
1. Commits to recognize and respect cultural diversity for all customers (internal and external).
2. Communicates effectively with internal and external customers with respect of differences in cultures, values, beliefs and ages, utilizing interpreters when needed.Performs other duties as assigned
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Ability to read, write, speak and comprehend the English language.
- Medical terminology preferred.
- Experience in a healthcare setting required.
- Computer skills required, Word and Outlook.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills required.
- Ability to analyze operational issues and work with team on solutions.
- Knowledge of insurance coverage systems, including but not limited to co-payments, referrals, HMO, PPO and capitated products, preferred.
- Proficiency in hospital and physician practice computer systems such as Meditech, eCW and other comparable systems.
- Education: High School diploma or equivalent required
- Experience (Type & Length):