Location: Carney Hospital
Posted Date: 6/24/2021
At Steward Health Care System, we are committed to improving the health of our communities by delivering exceptional, personalized behavioral health care with dignity, compassion and respect. Our continued focus on the patient experience informs our caregivers in how to provide care that is respectful of and responsive to individual patient and family preferences, needs and values.
We dedicate ourselves in the communities we serve to delivering affordable health care to all and being responsible partners. No matter what your role, as a member of the Steward family, you are a specialist in the making every patient and family feel right at home, every co-worker a key to our success, and every referring practice, a team of prized colleagues.
In support of this, we commit ourselves to the following values:
If you are seeking a fast-paced, challenging position in an organization committed to achieving and maintaining a standard of excellence in all we do, our organization may be a good fit for you.
The medical secretary is the first point of contact for all patients. This individual will access patient’s records and verify according to procedure. The secretary will inform appropriate staff and/or clinicians of patient’s arrival and will be responsible for booking of appointments in AthenaNet. The Medical Secretary will handle patient records in confidence in accordance with HIPPA.
- Answer phones
- Record all outgoing voicemail messages and check incoming messages
- Coordinate physician schedules within department and with medical procedure unit
- Schedule procedural and office visit appointments for physicians , enter in Meditech and ECW
- Obtain all necessary insurance approvals and authorizations for all appointments
- Checking all outgoing billing sheets and daily notes for completeness, scan through computer system to billing company
- Fielding patient billing issues and concerns to appropriate contact
- Enter facility charges into Meditech daily
- Pulling charts and preparing for upcoming week
- Mailing out instruction sheets to all procedural patients prior to appointment; new patient packets to new patients prior to appointment
- Mailing out all notes to referring physicians and primary care physicians
- Calling to confirm all patient appointments
- Verify all patient’s insurance eligibility and copayments
- Front desk duties including checking patients in, making sure all necessary paperwork is filled out, scheduling follow up appointments upon patient check out.
- Collecting copayments, writing out receipts for all cash payments.
- Cleaning exam rooms between patients
- Submit drug prior authorization requests to insurance companies.
- Observe procedures when requested by physician.
- Administer random toxicology screening when requested by physician, including all paperwork, reviewing patient medication list and preparing specimen for shipment.
- Take new patient information from referring physician offices and following up to ensure all needed information is received before scheduling patient.
- Taking inpatient consultation requests and preparing necessary information such as labs, studies, reports, and medication lists
- Copy all outgoing prescriptions written by physician.
- Coordinating and obtaining insurance approvals for ancillary services such as physical therapy, MRI, TENS units, etc
- Checking all outgoing medical records
- Typing letters and other requested documents as needed.
- Screening all incoming mail and distributing to the appropriate party
- Fielding patient problems and concerns
- Coordinating spinal cord stimulator program which includes organizing all pre-trial appointments, insurance approval for temporary implants, scheduling follow up appointments, and coordinating with neurosurgeons office if patient is moving on to permanent implant.
- Other tasks that may be requested by physician or nursing staff.
- Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
- 1. Commits to recognize and respect cultural diversity for all customers (internal and external).
2. Communicates effectively with internal and external customers with respect of differences in cultures, values, beliefs and ages, utilizing interpreters when needed.
Performs other duties as assigned
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Ability to read, write, speak and comprehend the English language.
- Medical terminology preferred.
- Experience in a healthcare setting required.
- Computer skills required, Word and Outlook.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills required.
- Ability to analyze operational issues and work with team on solutions.
- Knowledge of insurance coverage systems, including but not limited to co-payments, referrals, HMO, PPO and capitated products, preferred.
- Proficiency in hospital and physician practice computer systems such as Meditech, eCW and other comparable systems.
- Education: High School diploma or equivalent required
- Experience (Type & Length): 1-2 years of medical administration experience preferred
- Software/Hardware: Must be fluent with computer and phone use
Important COVID message
Please note, Carney Hospital is taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment - with confidence and without fear. Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [five-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience: Expanded hours will allow previously canceled procedures to be scheduled as quickly as possible. Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families. Emergency Departments are reorganized to be a safe place to treat all emergency patients. A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout the hospital. A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient safety. You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled and professional way.
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.