About Steward Health Care
Nearly a decade ago, Steward Health Care System emerged as a different kind of health care company designed to usher in a new era of wellness. One that provides our patients better, more proactive care at a sustainable cost, our providers unrivaled coordination of care, and our communities greater prosperity and stability.
As the country's largest physician-led, minority-owned, integrated health care system, our doctors can be certain that we share their interests and those of their patients. Together we are on a mission to revolutionize the way health care is delivered - creating healthier lives, thriving communities and a better world.
Steward is among the nation’s largest and most successful accountable care organizations (ACO), with more than 5,500 providers and 43,000 health care professionals who care for 12.3 million patients a year through a closely integrated network of hospitals, multispecialty medical groups, urgent care centers, skilled nursing facilities and behavioral health centers.
Based in Dallas, Steward currently operates 33 hospitals across Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Texas.
The medical secretary is the first point of contact for all patients. This individual will access patient’s records and verify them according to procedure. The secretary will inform appropriate staff and/or clinicians of a patient’s arrival and will be responsible for booking of appointments in AthenaNet. The Medical Secretary will handle patient records in confidence in accordance with HIPPA.
- Answer phones
- Record all outgoing voicemail messages and check incoming messages
- Coordinate physician schedules within departments and with medical procedure unit
- Schedule procedural and office visit appointments for physicians , in Meditech and ECW
- Obtain all necessary insurance approvals and authorizations for all appointments
- Checking all outgoing billing sheets and daily notes for completeness, scan through computer system to billing company
- Fielding patient billing issues and concerns to appropriate contact
- Enter facility charges into Meditech daily
- Pulling charts and preparing for upcoming week
- Mailing out instruction sheets to all procedural patients prior to appointment; new patient packets to new patients prior to appointment
- Mailing out all notes to referring physicians and primary care physicians
- Calling to confirm all patient appointments
- Verify all patient’s insurance eligibility and copayments
- Front desk duties including checking patients in, making sure all necessary paperwork is filled out, scheduling follow-up appointments upon patient check out.
- Collecting copayments, writing out receipts for all cash payments.
- Cleaning exam rooms between patients
- Submit drug prior authorization requests to insurance companies.
- Observe procedures when requested by a physician.
- Administer random toxicology screening when requested by physician, including all paperwork, reviewing patient medication list and preparing specimens for shipment.
- Take new patient information from referring physician offices and following up to ensure all needed information is received before scheduling patient.
- Taking inpatient consultation requests and preparing necessary information such as labs, studies, reports, and medication lists
- Copy all outgoing prescriptions written by physician.
- Coordinating and obtaining insurance approvals for ancillary services such as physical therapy, MRI, TENS units, etc
- Checking all outgoing medical records
- Typing letters and other requested documents as needed.
- Screening all incoming mail and distributing to the appropriate party
- Fielding patient problems and concerns
- Coordinating spinal cord stimulator program which includes organizing all pre-trial appointments, insurance approval for temporary implants, scheduling follow up appointments, and coordinating with neurosurgeons office if patient is moving on to permanent implant.
- Other tasks that may be requested by physician or nursing staff.
- Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
1. Commits to recognize and respect cultural diversity for all customers (internal and external).
2. Communicates effectively with internal and external customers with respect of differences in cultures, values, beliefs and ages, utilizing interpreters when needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Ability to read, write, speak and comprehend the English language.
- Medical terminology preferred.
- Experience in a healthcare setting required.
- Computer skills required, Word and Outlook.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills required.
- Ability to analyze operational issues and work with team on solutions.
- Knowledge of insurance coverage systems, including but not limited to co-payments, referrals, HMO, PPO and capitated products, preferred.
- Proficiency in hospital and physician practice computer systems such as Meditech, eCW and other comparable systems.
- Education: High School diploma or equivalent required
- Experience (Type & Length):
Steward Health Care is proud to be a minority, physician owned organization. Diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging are at the foundation of the care we provide, the community services we support and all our employment practices. We do not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.