Medical Technician ICU - 24 hrs/week - Day/Evening Position
ICU Medical Technician, 24 HRs/Week, Day/Night Rotator, Every 3rd Weekend
The ICU Technician functions under the direction of the Nurse Manager and/or Charge RN. He/she provides direct patient care as delegated, consistently provides a high level of customer service for patients, family members and visitors ,supports the physical environment by tracking, cleaning, organizing patient care equipment, maintaining patient supplies by inventory, restocking and organizing supplies daily and as needed.
The ICU Technician will be accountable for his/her action within the scope of job description.
- Accepts direction from the RN and communicates pertinent data in a timely manner.
- Works collaboratively with other members of the health care team.
- Communicates in a professional manner with patients, family and all members of the health care team.
- Has knowledge and ability to access appropriate resources
- Adheres to all Hospital and departmental specific policies and procedures.
- Provides superior customer service to internal and external clients, customers, and patients as referenced in the Service Excellence Standards.
- Performs hourly rounding on patients.
- Answers nurse call lights in an efficient manner.
- Prepares ICU room(s) for admission assuring that standard equipment is ready for use.
- Admits patients to the central monitor and connects telemetry, oximetry, BP monitoring equipment to patient under the direction of the nurse.
- Collects, records, and communicates the patient’s clinical data to the assigned nurse in a timely manner
- Transports or accompanies patients as necessary to other areas of the hospital in an efficient, safe, and respectful manner.
- Provides comfort care such as positioning, changing linen, back rubs, toileting, enema, etc. to patients in an efficient, safe, and respectful manner.
- Assists with computer entry as needed, i.e. intake and output, VS documentation.
- Communicates any changes in patient status immediately to the assigned nurse or Charge RN.
- Maintains patient and family confidentially at all times.
- Sets up for procedures as requested by nursing/medical staff.
- Participates in Crisis Intervention through the use of verbal and potential de-escalation of unsafe or aggressive behavior per CPI technique.
- Cleans and/or discards used equipment and supplies.
- Sets up oxygen supplies under the direction of the nurse; i.e. simple masks, oxyhoods, non-rebreather masks, venturi masks, nasal cannula, blow-by, and resuscitation bag.
- Demonstrates ability to respond productively in a variety of emergency situations, providing direct and indirect patient care activities.
- May provide basic life support, such as airway management and CPR while notifying RN of emergency situation.
- Performs phlebotomy on selected patients 15 and over. Uses aseptic technique when drawing blood cultures.
- Prepares specimens for lab.
- Responsible for the organization, cleaning of biomedical equipment, checking stock and working order for IABP, CRRT machine, Artic Sun, code cart, capillary glucose machine, ultrasound, etc.
- Labels and notifies malfunctioning equipment to Biomedical Engineering.
- Performs point of care testing quality controls daily.
- Obtains specimens, performs and records testing for capillary glucose,.
- Performs 12 lead EKG.
- Properly labels, stores and transmits EKGs.
- Set up and prime tubing with solution that contains no medications for alines, PA catheters, etc...
- Accounts for and cares for patient belongings.
- Collects specimens, while maintaining Standard Precautions.
- Responds to patient and family requests promptly, seeking nurse’s supervision as needed.
- Assists with patient care procedures as directed by the nurse, using proper body mechanics and ensuring patient dignity.
- Acts as a constant observer as requested by the Nurse Manager and/or Charge Nurse, adhering to guidelines to ensure patient safety at all times.
- Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients serviced.
- Performs other similar and related duties as required or directed.
- Stocks all rooms, carts, cabinets with supplies as needed. Stocks linen as needed.
- Check rooms for equipment, EKG cables, NBP cuff, Oximetry cable, etc.
- Maintains the environment of care by reducing clutter, maintains cleanliness of general work area including, beds, stretchers and wheelchairs.