Medical Technician ICU
ICU Tech- full-time 36hrs/wk, day/night shift, 12-hr shifts, every third weekend required, holidays required as needed
We are fighting for a healthier world and a new era of wellness!
Nearly a decade ago, we set out to build an entirely different kind of health care company from the ground up—one that unlocks access to affordable, high-quality, and economically sustainable care and wellness in ways never imagined. Today, we are one of the largest private, physician-led health care networks—caring for millions of people across the U.S. Our transformative, fully integrated model represents a new beginning for America’s health care system and others around the world.
We have hospitals across 7 states serving over 800 communities, with more than 43,000 employees. We are ushering in a new day of world class health care. From renowned pediatricians, sports medicine specialists and cardiac surgeons to state-of-the-art hospitals, urgent care centers and medical practices, we can offer easier access to high-quality affordable health care to people nationwide — when they need it and where they want it.
St. Elizabeth’s Medical Center, a Boston University Teaching Hospital, provides patients and families access to some of Boston’s most respected physicians and advanced treatments offering specialized care, including:
- Advanced Center for Cardiac Surgery
- da Vinci® Robotic surgery program; Mako Robotic-Arm Assisted Surgery
- Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
- Award-winning bariatric surgery program
- Dana-Farber Cancer Institute at St. Elizabeth's Medical Center
- State-of-the-art emergency care with short wait times
Our medical staff, made up of some of the highest rated physicians in Boston, treats patients in our community practices in neighborhoods, including Allston, Boston, Brighton, Brookline, Newton, Watertown and Weston.
- Grow with a health system that supports career advancement
- Competitive Pay & Salary Increases
- Employee Referral Program
- Locations close to home, that support work-life balance
- Affordable Medical, Dental and Vision Coverage
- 401k via Fidelity, for eligible employees, with company match
- Tuition Assistance / Reimbursement
- Family atmosphere and team approach that provides flexibility
- Opportunities to grow your career, and not change your employer
- And much more!
Job Summary –
The ICU Technician functions under the direction of the Nurse Manager and/or Charge RN. He/she provides direct patient care to some of the most acute patients in the Medical Center as delegated, consistently provides a high level of customer service for patients, family members and visitors supports the physical environment by tracking, cleaning, organizing patient care equipment, maintaining patient supplies by inventory, restocking, and organizing supplies daily and as needed.
- High School Diploma or Equivalent.
- One year related technical job experience. Phlebotomy experience preferred.
- Able to communicate verbal/written English language.
- Able to complete mathematical computations required to perform responsibilities.
- Able to analyze simple issues and solve them with direction.
- EMT or Nursing Aide Certification preferred.
- BLS certified.
- CPI training.
- Phlebotomy experience preferred.
- Performs hourly rounding on patients.
- Answers nurse call lights in an efficient manner.
- Prepares ICU room(s) for admission assuring that standard equipment is ready for use.
- Admits patients to the central monitor and connects telemetry, oximetry, BP monitoring equipment to patient under the direction of the nurse.
- Collects, records, and communicates the patient’s clinical data to the assigned nurse in a timely manner.
- Transports or accompanies patients as necessary to other areas of the hospital in an efficient, safe, and respectful manner.
- Provides comfort care such as positioning, changing linen, back rubs, toileting, enema, etc. to patients in an efficient, safe, and respectful manner.
- Assists with computer entry as needed, i.e. intake and output, VS documentation.
- Communicates any changes in patient status immediately to the assigned nurse or Charge RN.
- Maintains patient and family confidentially at all times.
- Sets up for procedures as requested by nursing/medical staff.
- Participates in Crisis Intervention through the use of verbal and potential de-escalation of unsafe or aggressive behavior per CPI technique.
- Cleans and/or discards used equipment and supplies.
- Sets up oxygen supplies under the direction of the nurse; i.e. simple masks, oxyhoods, non-rebreather masks, venturi masks, nasal cannula, blow-by, and resuscitation bag.
- Demonstrates ability to respond productively in a variety of emergency situations, providing direct and indirect patient care activities.
- May provide basic life support, such as airway management and CPR while notifying RN of emergency situation.
- Performs phlebotomy on selected patients 15 and over. Uses aseptic technique when drawing blood cultures.
- Prepares specimens for lab.
- Responsible for the organization, cleaning of biomedical equipment, checking stock and working order for IABP, CRRT machine, Artic Sun, code cart, capillary glucose machine, ultrasound, etc.
- Labels and notifies malfunctioning equipment to Biomedical Engineering.
- Performs point of care testing quality controls daily.
- Obtains specimens, performs and records testing for capillary glucose,.
- Performs 12 lead EKG.
- Properly labels, stores and transmits EKGs.
- Set up and prime tubing with solution that contains no medications for alines, PA catheters, etc...
- Accounts for and cares for patient belongings.
- Collects specimens, while maintaining Standard Precautions.
- Responds to patient and family requests promptly, seeking nurse’s supervision as needed.
- Assists with patient care procedures as directed by the nurse, using proper body mechanics and ensuring patient dignity.
- Acts as a constant observer as requested by the Nurse Manager and/or Charge Nurse, adhering to guidelines to ensure patient safety at all times.
- Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients serviced.
- Performs other similar and related duties as required or directed.
Has knowledge of:
- Has knowledge of normal values for vital signs and O2 saturation and notifies RN of abnormal or changed findings.
- Has knowledge of normal & abnormal blood glucose levels & documents abnormal findings and alerts RN or charge RN of findings.
The ICU Technician demonstrates a commitment to work collaboratively with other health care team members to facilitate and promote desired patient outcomes and to promote a unit environment which supports positive public relations.
- Performs responsibilities in a self-directed and cooperative manner.
- Uses time constructively and organizes assignment for maximum productivity.
- Cooperates with peer group in varying schedule assignments on time sheet.
- Meets the demands and functions during stress and emergencies in a positive manner.
- Takes responsibility and is accountable for his/her actions or in-actions and standard of practice.
- Requests and accepts constructive criticism.
- Develops a rapport with peers and co-workers that is conducive to patient care.
- Works in a team approach to accomplish unit goals.
- Maintains an acceptable attitude and professional appearance.
- Manages conflict and frustration in a positive and constructive manner.
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.