Mental Health Assistant - Part-Time, Days
This is a 24 hour per week position, working 7am to 3:30pm, including every other weekend and holiday
Under the direct supervision of a Registered Nurse, assists with the nursing care of selected patients whose needs do not require complex nursing skills. The Mental Health Associate is also responsible for performing duties necessary to maintain a safe and therapeutic milieu.
Reports to the Nurse Manager or Senior Administrative Manager
- BS required. Minimum 1 year Experience may be considered in lieu of degree.
- BLS Certification from American Heart Association required
- Previous experience with psychiatric patients preferred.
- Minimum of High School diploma or equivalent.
- TEAM WORK
- Involves other departments in project planning and implementation.
- Supports others in the department and provides help and assistance when possible.
- Regularly attends and participates in team and/or departmental meetings and activities.
- Keeps other in the department informed of relevant information.
- Regularly offers and requests constructive feedback and coaching.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relations.
- SERVICE EXCELLENCE (both internal and external)
- Welcomes patients/customers/employees in a warm, friendly manner.
- Actively listens and constructively responds to questions and concerns in a timely manner.
- Ensures that the dignity of the patient/customer/employee is maintained at all times.
- Abides by and upholds the hospital’s service excellence standards.
- Respects the diversity of the patient/customer/employee population.
- Demonstrates safe and effective use of equipment, when appropriate. (Meditech, fax, copier, software programs)
- Demonstrates compliance with policy/procedure/practice standards.
- Advocates for patient rights.
- Participates in activities related to professional development.
- Completes appropriate competencies for hospital and department.
- Participates in quality improvement/quality control activities as assigned.
- Provides for basic hygiene care for observed patients who do not require complex nursing care.
- Takes TPR and BP and accurately record and reports changes to Nurse.
- Demonstrates knowledge of fire safety, smoking and visitor policies.
- Participates in Code Yellow.
- Demonstrates efficiency in prioritizing patient assignments.
- Responds promptly and appropriately to crisis or emergency situations. Defuses situations and summons assistance, as necessary.
- Engages patients in leisure or recreational activities, as appropriate.
- Assumes responsibility for conducting milieu groups, as appropriate.
- Maintains confidentiality of patient information.
- Recognizes own limitations and seeks help from appropriate resources, as needed.
- Reviews patient status with Registered Nurses and other disciplines when appropriate.
- Communicates clearly any changes in patient status promptly to Registered Nurse.
- Follows policy regarding proper search.
- Maintains checks, as assigned.
- Follows sharps policy.
- Provides appropriate documentation as needed. When on an assigned 1:1, records observation on sheet and gives verbal report to the oncoming staff.
- Assist patients to recognize and develop positive coping skills to help them manage physical and emotional stress.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.