Location: Morton Hospital
Posted Date: 9/27/2021
At Steward Health Care System, we are committed to improving the health of our communities by delivering exceptional, personalized behavioral health care with dignity, compassion and respect. Our continued focus on the patient experience informs our caregivers in how to provide care that is respectful of and responsive to individual patient and family preferences, needs and values.
We dedicate ourselves in the communities we serve to delivering affordable health care to all and being responsible partners. No matter what your role, as a member of the Steward family, you are a specialist in the making every patient and family feel right at home, every co-worker a key to our success, and every referring practice, a team of prized colleagues.
In support of this, we commit ourselves to the following values:
If you are seeking a fast-paced, challenging position in an organization committed to achieving and maintaining a standard of excellence in all we do, our organization may be a good fit for you.
***Mental Health Associate 32hrs/Evenings
The Mental Health Associate (MHA) is responsible for performing duties necessary to maintain a safe and therapeutic milieu. Under the direct supervision of a registered nurse, the MHA will assist the nurse with care of patients whose needs do not require complex nursing skill.
- Assists the treatment team to establish, monitor and maintain a therapeutic recovery environment by functioning in the various rotating role assignments: Community MHA, Patient Flow MHA or Security MHA.
- Provides for basic hygiene care for selected patients who do not require complex nursing care as directed by nursing.
- Provide ambulation assistance for patients who do not require complex nursing care assistance.
- Performs clothing and patient belongings search on admission according to policies and procedures and completes all the documentation requirements associated with securing patients' belongings.
- Responds to crisis or emergency situations. Defuses situations and summons assistance as necessary.
- Reports all patient safety concerns, including behavior, to the Charge Nurse.
- Demonstrates courtesy, tact, and professional behavior in relationships with patients, families and other staff members.
- Documents hourly patient checks.
- Reviews patient status with nursing and counseling when appropriate.
- Clearly communicates any change in patient condition promptly to the registered nurse.
- Provides authorized transport services as needed.
- Maintains confidentiality of patient information.
- Participates in quality improvement activities.
- Maintains Professional Boundaries with patients.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Management of Time and Resources:
- Completes work assignments within an acceptable time frame.
- Uses time and resources to the best possible advantage for successful completion of job responsibilities.
- Develops and maintains efficient working relationships.
- Is reliable in respect to attendance and punctuality.
- Recognizes the importance of team efforts and partners with others to achieve positive outcomes.
- Participated as a member of the healthcare team to ensure quality services.
- Accepts responsibility for all work performed and takes appropriate corrective action as needed.
- Attends Staff Meetings
- Offers creative solutions or alternatives to issues or concerns.
- Continually strives to improve the quality of work by participating in the Quality Improvement activities for the department.
- Responsible for ongoing development of his/her work skills using available resources (i.e.: Steward University, inservices, formal educational programs, other work groups and on-the-job training).
- Assists in the orientation of others and actively participates in mentoring.
- Recognizes and seeks assistance/consultation when appropriate.
CUSTOMER SERVICE SKILLS:
- Is cooperative in interactions, treating customers with courtesy, respect and compassion.
- Is patient when responding to questions and answers questions appropriately.
- Responds to requests in a timely manner.
- Handles interruptions in a skillful way.
- Maintains a professional appearance and demeanor.
- Strives to prevent/resolve customer concerns to the customer’s satisfaction.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Must be able to therapeutically interact with patients with behavioral health issues and/or in the process of addiction recovery.
- Knowledge of the 12-Step self-help recovery process
- 42 CFR – Part 2 law governing patient confidentiality in Substance Use Disorder Treatment Programs.
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Bachelor's degree preferred.
- Experience in addictions ore mental health treatment preferred.
- Basic computer skills preferred.
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.
Important COVID message
Please note, Morton Hospital is taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment - with confidence and without fear. Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [five-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience: Expanded hours will allow previously cancelled procedures to be scheduled as quickly as possible. Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families. Emergency Departments are reorganized to be a safe place to treat all emergency patients. A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout the hospital. A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient safety. You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled and professional way.