Mental Health Associate Part Time Eves
The Mental Health Associate (MHA) is responsible for performing duties necessary to maintain a safe and therapeutic milieu. Under the direct supervision of a registered nurse, the MHA will assist the nurse with care of patients whose needs do not require complex nursing skill.
HOURS: 24 hour eves 3p-11:30p
• Assists the treatment team to establish, monitor and maintain a therapeutic recovery environment by functioning in the various rotating role assignments: Community MHA, Patient Flow MHA or Security MHA.
• Provides for basic hygiene care for selected patients who do not require complex nursing care as directed by nursing.
• Provide ambulation assistance for patients who do not require complex nursing care assistance.
• Performs clothing and patient belongings search on admission according to policies and procedures and completes all the documentation requirements associated with securing patients' belongings.
• Responds to crisis or emergency situations. Defuses situations and summons assistance as necessary.
• Reports all patient safety concerns, including behavior, to the Charge Nurse.
• Demonstrates courtesy, tact, and professional behavior in relationships with patients, families and other staff members.
• Documents hourly patient checks.
• Reviews patient status with nursing and counseling when appropriate.
• Clearly communicates any change in patient condition promptly to the registered nurse.
• Provides authorized transport services as needed.
• Maintains confidentiality of patient information.
• Participates in quality improvement activities.
• Maintains Professional Boundaries with patients.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Management of Time and Resources:
• Completes work assignments within an acceptable time frame.
• Uses time and resources to the best possible advantage for successful completion of job responsibilities.
• Develops and maintains efficient working relationships.
• Is reliable in respect to attendance and punctuality.
• Recognizes the importance of team efforts and partners with others to achieve positive outcomes.
• Participated as a member of the healthcare team to ensure quality services.
• Accepts responsibility for all work performed and takes appropriate corrective action as needed.
• Attends Staff Meetings
• Offers creative solutions or alternatives to issues or concerns.
• Continually strives to improve the quality of work by participating in the Quality Improvement activities for the department.
• Responsible for ongoing development of his/her work skills using available resources (i.e.: Steward University, inservices, formal educational programs, other work groups and on-the-job training).
• Assists in the orientation of others and actively participates in mentoring.
• Recognizes and seeks assistance/consultation when appropriate.
CUSTOMER SERVICE SKILLS:
• Is cooperative in interactions, treating customers with courtesy, respect and compassion.
• Is patient when responding to questions and answers questions appropriately.
• Responds to requests in a timely manner.
• Handles interruptions in a skillful way.
• Maintains a professional appearance and demeanor.
• Strives to prevent/resolve customer concerns to the customer’s satisfaction.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
• Must be able to therapeutically interact with patients with behavioral health issues and/or in the process of addiction recovery.
• Knowledge of the 12-Step self-help recovery process
• 42 CFR – Part 2 law governing patient confidentiality in Substance Use Disorder Treatment Programs.
• High School Diploma or GED required.
• Bachelor's degree preferred.
• Experience in addictions ore mental health treatment preferred.
• Basic computer skills preferred.