Mental Health Counselor - Psych Unit- Full Time
At Steward Health Care System, we are committed to improving the health of our communities by delivering exceptional, personalized behavioral health care with dignity, compassion and respect. Our continued focus on the patient experience informs our caregivers in how to provide care that is respectful of and responsive to individual patient and family preferences, needs and values.
We dedicate ourselves in the communities we serve to delivering affordable health care to all and being responsible partners. No matter what your role, as a member of the Steward family, you are a specialist in the making every patient and family feel right at home, every co-worker a key to our success, and every referring practice, a team of prized colleagues.
In support of this, we commit ourselves to the following values:
If you are seeking a fast-paced, challenging position in an organization committed to achieving and maintaining a standard of excellence in all we do, our organization may be a good fit for you.
32 Hours 3pm-11:30pm
Mental Health Counselor in Psych
- Assists the RN / healthcare team in implementation of the Patient Plan of Care as a member of a multidisciplinary team.
- Provides patient care as directed by the RN.
- Respects each patient as an individual; provides care that fosters the patient's sense of dignity and positive self-regard, and uses the least restrictive approach to behavioral management.
- Assists with admission and discharge of patients with the supervision of the RN.
- Appropriately prioritizes patient care assignment (e.g., recognizes and responds appropriately to a crisis situation, and demonstrates understanding of a psychiatric emergency, and is able to maintain patient and unit safety).
- Provides thorough, timely, and accurate documentation of all pertinent data, according to established standards (e.g., "Problem-Intervention-Plan" format for progress notes and accuracy in vital sign documentation).
- Provides timely and thorough report on assigned patients to other health care team members to ensure integration of services, continuity of patient care, and focus on treatment plan goals.
- Promotes learning for colleagues and self (e.g. assists in orientation of new staff).
- Proactively identifies risk to patient safety and identifies opportunities to reduce medical/health care errors in accordance with the CBM Safety Rounds competency and unit requirements.
- Identifies ethical issues in care and reports them to the RN, and demonstrates ability to report suspected patient abuse/neglect according to hospital policy.
- Reports to RN any changes in a patient's mental status (e.g., suicidal thoughts, psychotic symptoms) and/or physical status (e.g., pain level) in a timely manner.
- Assists patient as needed in the following areas: dressing, grooming, bathing, toileting, laundering clothes.
- Consistently assesses the milieu and need for staff intervention to maintain patient and unit safety.
- Is cognizant of the physical plant needs of the unit and reports to an RN any deficiencies or malfunctioning. Obtains supplies as directed.
- Provides back-up to Admissions Coordinator and documents accurate information on intake form. Reviews admission with RN.
- Manages patient meals on the unit and maintains a neat and clean kitchen and dining area. Addresses individual dietary needs of patients appropriately.
- Is competent in utilizing unit-related bio-medical equipment.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school graduate or GED.
- BCLS required.
- Experience or training in the mental health or medical field preferred.
Important COVID message
Please note, Holy Family hospital is taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment - with confidence and without fear. Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [five-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience: Expanded hours will allow previously cancelled procedures to be scheduled as quickly as possible. Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families. Emergency Departments are reorganized to be a safe place to treat all emergency patients. A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout the hospital. A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient safety. You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled and professional way.
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.