Mental Health Counselor
TITLE: Mental Health Counselor - $15.59 - $23.17/hr based on Collective Bargaining Agreement with 1199 SEIU and years of experience.
At Steward Health Care System, we are committed to improving the health of our communities by delivering exceptional, personalized health care with dignity, compassion and respect. Our continued focus on the patient experience informs our caregivers in how to provide care that is respectful of and responsive to individual patient and family preferences, needs and values.
We dedicate ourselves in the communities we serve to delivering affordable health care to all and being responsible partners. No matter what your role, as a member of the Steward family, you are a specialist in the making every patient and family feel right at home, every co-worker a key to our success, and every referring practice, a team of prized colleagues.
In support of this, we commit ourselves to the following values:
Union Benefits to help you live well!
- Low cost Medical/Prescription Drug Insurance through BCBS
- Dental and Vision Insurance
- 401k via Fidelity for eligible employees with company match
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Worldwide Travel Assistance
- Short- and Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Auto and Home Insurance
- Hospital Indemnity Insurance
The Mental Health Counselor is a member of a multi-disciplinary patient treatment team, reports to the Clinical Manager or designee. The Mental Health Counselor implements responsibilities in accordance with Psychiatric nursing policies, procedures and standards.
Essential Functions and Duties:
- Collect subjective and objective mental status and behavioral data using all available resources, according to Contact Person Policy and Procedure with an awareness of age-specific differences
- Collect subjective and objective mental status and behavioral data using all available resources for developmentally disadvantages (cognitive impairment)
- Monitor vital signs, I&O, and general physical health and reports findings to RN, incorporates discharge planning in assessment and plan of care, according to Contact Person Policy and Procedure.
- Monitor need for and effect of PRN medication according to Nursing Policy
- Plan shift assignment to fulfill patient care needs, and an awareness of age-related differences and needs of cognitively impaired per Contact Person Role Policy and Procedures
- Prepare for multidisciplinary team conference by reviewing chart and collecting patient data – i.e., mental status, behavior, activities, etc. per Primary Role and Contact Person Role Policy and Procedures
- Collaborate with patient and multi-disciplinary team in planning hospitalization and discharge goals, per Primary Role and Contact Person Role Policy and Procedures.
- Develop crisis intervention plan with milieu ream, per Primary Role and Contact Person Role Policy and Procedures.
- Consult with patient and multidisciplinary team in determining interventions, education needs, and discharge plans per Contact Person Role Policy and Procedures.
- Recommend changes in plan of care as indicated by mental status, behavior, additional data, per Contact Person Role Policy and Procedures.
- Implement interventions from plan of care, per Contact Person Role Policy and Procedures with an awareness of age-related difference and the needs of the cognitively impaired.
- Update plan of care as appropriate, per Contact Person Role Policy and Procedures.
- Encourage and assist patients to complete ADL’s, per Contact Person Role Policy and Procedures
- Encourage participation in the Group Program, per Contact Person Role Policy and Procedures
- Educate patient regarding goals of hospitalization, per Contact Person Role Policy and Procedures.
- Setting verbal and physical limits to control escalating or aggressive behavior, per Contact Person Role Policy.
- Clarify milieu program with families and offer support as needed, per and Contact Person Policy and Procedures
- Monitor patient and visitor use of controlled items on the unit, and items brought in from pass per Monitoring of Controlled items Policy and Procedure.
- Complete patient checks as assigned per Patients Checks Policy.
- Assist RN with patient search for controlled items, vs, ht.,wt., and orientation to the unit on admission per Patient Admission Policy.
- Clarify and implement unit rules as indicated per Rules and Guidelines for Patients and Visiting Hour Policies.
- Document subjective and objective data and interventions using NAP format and communicate appropriate data on shift report per Nursing Policy.
- Complete Patient Discharge Referral form as indicated per Discharge of Patients from Hospital Policy.
- Evaluate and document patient response to interventions per Contact Person Role Policy with an awareness of age-specific differences and the needs of the cognitively impaired.
- Continuous evaluation of patient progress toward goals of hospitalization evident in: A.) Documentation; B.) Participation in TPC’s; C.) Shift Report; D.) Unit Rounds; E.) Report to Charge Nurse, per Nursing Policy.
- Completes responsibilities of Primary Coordinator, per Contact Person Role Policy in nursing and multidisciplinary teams.
- Completes responsibilities of Contact Person, per Contact Person Role Policy and Procedures.
- Participate in orienting and teaching other staff, per Contact Person Role Policy and Procedures.
- Lead or co-lead Community Meeting, Wrap-up, process and activity groups, per Contact Person Role Policy and Procedures.
- Initiate, manage and lead crisis intervention, per Contact Person Role Policy and Procedures.
- Manage patient activity on the unit in collaboration with other members of the Milieu Tea, per Contact Person Role Policy and Procedures.
- Report milieu problems to Charge Nurse, other team members, and next shift per Contact Person Role Policy and Procedures.
- Initiate, manage and lead restraint/seclusion per Restraint/Seclusion Policy and Procedure.
- Preserve patient rights relative to all aspects of their care, per Carney Hospital and Department of Psychiatry Policies
- Attend and participate in unit based meetings 3-4 times per Quarter and/or reads and initials meeting notes.
- Complete annual mandatory in-service education, i.e., Fire and Safety, Infection Control, Restraint/Seclusion, Mock Code, per Carney Hospital and Department of Psychiatry Policies.
- Accepts responsibility for developing education plan to meet learning needs.
- Responsive to feedback on clinical and professional issues from peers and CM.
- Promote improvement of unit program through individual, committee, or Quality Assurance activities – i.e., completing patient profiles, task force membership, QA monitoring and other unit-based support activities, per Carney Hospital and Department of Psychiatry Policies.
- Assist in maintaining a clean and safe environment, per Carney Hospital and Department of Psychiatry Policies.
- Responds to verbal and nonverbal communication of patients and families according to Policy and Procedure
- Demonstrates assertiveness and professionalism when dealing with other members of the healthcare team.
- Promotes a positive image when representing Psychiatry unit.
- Ability to problem solve using principles of assertiveness and conflict management according to department guidelines. Job assignments and tasks vary from job to job, but the expectation for both the manner in which we perform our work and also the way in which we interact with each other and our patients does not vary. Each employee is required to meet the same criteria. These requirements represent a significant portion of your evaluation and embody the spirit of the hospital and its mission.
- Maintains all aspects of confidentiality as it relates to hospital business, patient affairs, personnel and other matters.
- Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
- Commits to recognize and respect cultural diversity for all customers (internal and external).
- Communicates effectively with internal and external customers with respect of differences in cultures, values, beliefs and ages, utilizing interpreters when needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned
Required Knowledge & Skills:
- Ability to work independently and take initiative
- Ability to exercise good judgment and problem-solving skills
- Strong communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
Education and Requirements:
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- One to two years of relevant experience preferred
Important COVID message
Please note, our Carney Hospital is taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment - with confidence and without fear. Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [five-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience: Expanded hours will allow previously canceled procedures to be scheduled as quickly as possible. Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families. Emergency Departments are reorganized to be a safe place to treat all emergency patients. A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout the hospital. A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient safety. You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled and professional way.
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.