General Summary and Job Overview:
Under general supervision and following established protocols and procedures, operates MR Imaging equipment to acquire images for use by physicians in diagnosis and treatment of pathologies. Performs in accordance with the facility’s policies and procedures. Follows the facility’s standards for ethical business conduct. Conducts self as a positive role model and team member. Participates in facility committees, meetings, in-services, and activities.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Operates MR Imaging equipment to obtain diagnostic images and information. In doing so, ensures the patient is properly prepared, obtains a relevant patient history and assures proper positioning, Selects proper imaging techniques and follows department protocols in order to provide the Radiologist with images of diagnostic quality for interpretation.
- Knowledgeable about illness related to the patient population and the various types of care being provided to them in order to provide images for the interpreting Radiologist.
- Explains the exam to the patient, taking into consideration the physical and emotional needs of the patient while maintaining ethical standards, including but not limited to, patient confidentiality, professional conduct and patients physical privacy.
- Prepares and administers contrast media/medications as prescribed by a licensed practitioner following state statues and department policy. Does so only after demonstrating an understanding of all precautions/contraindications and possible adverse affect associated with contrast administration.
- Capable of performing venipuncture with knowledge of appropriate needle gauge for specific exams in relation to injector rates and the safe use of the power injector.
- Maintains a clean work area, prepares the equipment, patient room and stocks supplies. In a timely fashion informs appropriate personnel when orders need to be placed.
- Participate in quality assurance and quality improvement projects as well as utilizing appropriate cost containment measures.
- Remain flexible in all shift coverage and overtime situations as they become necessary.
- Use independent judgment and initiative under pressure in a variety of situations when performing patient procedures.
- Utilizes aseptic sterile techniques as necessary for any invasive procedures. Able to assist the Radiologist pr Physician during any such procedures. Maintains all supplies needed for these procedures in a clean and organized manner.
- Maintains effective working relations and communication with departmental staff and other Hawthorn Medical Associates personnel as well as various community interactions as appropriate to the position.
- Be knowledgeable in the operation of all equipment used during the work day, including imaging equipment, film processors/printers, power injector and all computer systems necessary to perform the job such as RIS and PACS systems. Notify appropriate personnel of equipment malfunctions and repairs as needed.
- Execute paperwork as necessary for each patient exam, including but not limited to CPT codes and checking all Physician order sheets prior to the patient exam. Assures that all medical information is complete and accurate for the exam ordered. Assures all necessary paperwork is in the patient’s medical records. Copies and mails completed medical records to Alliance Imaging.
- Remains current on developments and trends in imaging techniques, procedures and equipment by reading manuals and technical journals. Participate in educational programs, maintain CEU’s that meet State and National guidelines. Attend staff meetings and in-service educational programs.
- Maintains CPR certification and is capable of initiating emergency life support actions as necessary. Knows the location of all drugs
- May be called upon to oversee and instruct various personnel and students as assigned and deemed necessary by the Imaging Manager.