Nurse Educator ER
. Position Function:
The Nurse Educator is a BSN or master's prepared, professional nurse who possesses clinical knowledge and teaching skills. The role encompasses consultation, continuing education, nursing research, professional practice, continuous quality improvement, and clinical teaching.
The Nurse Educator acts as a role model to nurse clinicians, staff, other health care professionals and support services, and provides consultation in his/her specialty area, using the patient-centered model of care.
The Nurse Educator supports and promotes practice standards in accordance with the ANA Standards of Nursing Practice and the Philosophy and Goals of the Nursing Division and the Medical Center.
II. Job Relationships:
The Nurse Educator reports to the AVP, Patient Care Services and is responsible to the Vice President, Patient Care Services for divisional projects and outcomes.
The Nurse Educator works collaboratively with the patient care manager, nurse clinician, and other health care providers to promote quality patient care.
The Nurse Educator has the authority to educate all levels of nursing personnel regarding job functions, clinical specialty, care management processes and continuous quality improvement activities.
The Nurse Educator has the authority to receive and review all reports and committee minutes pertinent to her/his educational duties and committee responsibilities.
IV. A. Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
1.) "Provides superior customer service to internal and external clients, customers,
and patients as referenced in the Service Excellence Standards."
- Serves as a role model for professional practice in the clinical areas.
- Participates in the development, implementation and evaluation of the goals, standards and
policies and procedures within the Nursing Division.
- Collaborates with other disciplines to develop and implement hospital-wide policies and
- Assists the nurse clinician to plan and implement patient centered care based on established
guidelines, standards, protocols and policies and procedures of nursing practice.
- Provides training, development and support to ancillary staff (NA, PCA, MA, MHW,
- Assists nurses with leadership role development and clinical decision making.
- Participates in and encourages staff to engage in collaborative forums such as collaborative
practice groups, interdisciplinary rounds, and patient care conferences.
- Collaborates with the patient care manager and nursing staff to identify learning needs and
plans appropriate experiences/educational programs.
- Designs and implements programs to develop and maintain staff competency in both generic
and unit-specific areas.
- Designs and develops educational programs/competencies in response to hospital initiatives.
- Provides yearly mandatory education for nursing staff and other health care professionals.
- Precepts master's level nursing students during clinical practicums.
- Acts as a resource to the nurse clinician for clinical problem solving.
- Provides consultation in collaboration with the nurse clinician in the area of her/his clinical
expertise to patients and families throughout the Medical Center.
- Acts as a resource to staff for the implementation of the nursing process and contemporary
- Provides consultation to nurse clinicians on use of care management system.
- Provides consultation to and supports role development of the clinical leader.
- Acts as a resource and consultant to support services.
- Provides direct input and critical analysis of technology to product representatives for
potential improvement in the quality of the product, and/or delivery of patient care.
- Designs, implements, and evaluates orientation programs for all levels of Nursing Division
health care personnel.
- Facilitates learning experiences for orientees.
- Introduces new staff members to the philosophy, goals, policies, procedures, role
expectations, physical facilities, and special services in their work setting.
- Facilitates preceptor role development in collaboration with the patient care managers.
- Supports preceptor and orientee throughout orientation and in completion of orientation
- Collaborates with the patient care manager in the implementation and evaluation of the
- Provides and/or coordinates in-service education activities designed to maintain, update and
promote the knowledge and skills of nursing staff.
- Participates in the orientation and coordination of learning experiences for faculty and
students of affiliated nursing schools.
- Actively participates in the design, implementation, approval process and evaluation of
continuing education programs for the nursing division.
- Plans and develops educational programs, including workshops, conferences, and seminars
for all levels of nursing personnel which build on existing skills and lead to the acquisition of
- Expands educational offerings/materials in the clinical learning lab.
- Encourage staff to utilize educational opportunities, which will enhance their professional
- Supports an educational environment which encompasses use of clinical learning lab and the
Professional Development/Professional Relationships:
- Maintains competency through participation in educational activities, clinical practice, and
consultation which promote professional growth.
- Demonstrates a commitment to the profession through membership and participation in
- Demonstrates awareness of political issues and processes and their impact upon health care.
- Participates as a guest lecturer to professional groups.
- Develops educational materials for utilization by patients and professionals groups.
- Contributes to nursing literature on a local and/or national level.
- Participates in interdisciplinary and intradisciplinary committees as a member of the Nursing
- Actively participates (as a member and/or chairperson) on committees with Nursing
Education, Department of Nursing, and the hospital.
- Manages special projects across the institution/system in response to initiatives.
Continuous Quality Improvement/Research:
- Teaches and facilitates critical thinking and research findings for applicability to practice.
- Assists staff in critiquing research findings for applicability to practice.
- Assists staff to participate and assist in research studies to enhance patient outcomes.
- Designs, promotes and participates in unit-based CQI programs, to improve nursing practice.
- Actively participates in all collaborative group practices.
- Contributes to the design and implementation and education of CareMapsTM and of the Care
B. Responsibilities/Non-Essential Functions:
Performs other related duties as needed.
V. Reporting Requirements:
Completes a written evaluation summary on all programs provided.
Develops and presents regular written report of all educational activities to the Vice President, Patient Care Services
Participates in the writing and publication of a Nursing Education Annual report of the Division of Nursing.
Accountable for providing educational offerings and services which operate within the Nursing Education Department budget.
Accountable for guiding clinical practice in accordance with applicable state and federal regulations, and standard-setting organizations.
Accountable for maintaining confidentiality and security of all hospital-related, medical staff-related, and patient-related data and information.
Accountable for abiding by all relevant hospital policies and procedures.
Bachelors degree in nursing (BSN) required, Masters degree preferred.
A minimum of 4 years' clinical experience in nursing required.
1 - 2 years of experience must be in specialty or related field.
Certification in teaching and/or program development.
Certification in specialty area encouraged.
Current Massachusetts Licensure in Nursing.
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!Apply Online
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 116579