Nurse Practitioner Ortho Surg
The Mid Level Practitioner will be responsible for managing patients with orthopedic signs, symptoms, or injuries, in collaboration with the orthopedic physician on site. This position is 40 hrs per week on a temporary basis with the possibility of working into a long term position.
- Makes rounds as directed by surgical attendings or service protocols with follow-up and documentation of patient progress and problems.
- Provides assistance in the operating room as a member of the scrubbed team under the direction of the attending surgeon as R.N.F.A.
- Facilitates communication and coordination of the plan of care as established by the attending surgeon.
- Elicits patient history, performs physical examination and writes assessment.
- Provides first level response to acute changes in patient status or complications and initiates appropriate response.
- Writes routine orders including orders pertaining to admission, discharge, transfer, discharge medications, VNA, pre-operative, post-operative, physical therapy, laboratory, diagnostic X-ray, diagnostic nuclear medicine, diet, medications, EKG, blood bank, vascular studies, consultations, operative notes, progress notes, ,and other specialty specific routines as outlined and supervised by attending surgeons of the service.
- Interprets results from test results as listed above; IV insertion; foley catheter insertion; drawing blood through central line; arterial blood gas draw; administer authorized medications via IV, IM or SC routes; naso-gastric tube insertion; removal of surgical clips, sutures and drains; advance drains per physician order; wound de-bridement, draw blood cultures; examine and evaluate consultations to the orthopedic service; first, second or third assist in the operating room on orthopedic patients; reduce fractures; reduce dislocations; suture wounds; apply casts and splints; remove casts and splints; repair nail injuries; apply traction; perform intrarticular injections; perform digital, regional and local blocks; assist in obtaining informed consent from patients.
- Performs procedures as needed and directed by specific service needs such as insertion of peripheral IV lines, foley, removal of sutures, drains application of splints or traction.
- Maintains contact with the attending surgeons of the service on a daily basis reporting patient progress, scheduling and implementation of the plan of care.
- Evaluates and interprets collective data and executes appropriate intervention in collaboration with the physicians as needed.
- Initiates and evaluates independent activities and therapies as defined in the Medical Center and departmental policies
- Provides health education to patients and their families regarding acute care, health maintenance and chronic care conditions
- Collaborates with other team members
- Coordinates and communicates the patient's needs and plan of care to referral providers as needed
- Documents patient assessment, care plan and follow-up in the medical record
- PA or NP licensure required.
- Current Federal DEA and Massachusetts Controlled Substance registrations.
- One to two years of experience in Orthopedics is preferred.
- Heath coverage through Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Deductibles do not apply to services provided by a Steward provider (Tier 1)
- Office visit copays are $0 when member uses a Steward provider(Tier 1)
- Mental health and substance abuse offices visits are $0 for all in-network providers (Tier 1, Tier 2, and Tier 3)
- 401K with employer match
- Long term disability
- Sort term disablity
- Paid time off and holidays
Steward Medical Group:
Steward Health Care System LLC ("Steward") is a fully integrated, physician-led national health care services organization committed to providing the highest quality of care in the most cost-efficient manner in the communities where our patients live. Steward - the largest privately held health care company in the U.S. - owns and operations 35 community hospitals across nine states, serves over 1,000 distinct communities and employs approximately 40,000 health care professionals. In addition to our hospitals, the Steward provider network includes 4,800 providers, 25 urgent care centers, 87 preferred skilled nursing facilities, substantial behavioral health offerings, over 7,300 hospital beds under management, and approximately 1.5 million full risk covered lives through the company's managed care and health insurance services. The total number of paneled lives within Steward's integrated care network is projected to reach 3 million in 2018.
Steward Medical Group (SMG), Inc. is Steward's multi-specialty group practice with over 4,500 employees including over 1,800 physicians and advanced practitioners. SMG operates approximately 450 practice locations throughout Massachusetts, Southern New Hampshire, Rhode Island, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Florida, Utah, Arizona, Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas, and provides more than 4 million patient encounters per year.
All positions subject to close without notice
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled