Responsibilities & Standards:
- Utilizes knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the lifespan to provide direct patient care as assigned under the direction and supervision of the RN and according to shift routine and Nursing Policy and Procedures.
- Provides for patient ADLS as assigned by RN.
- Bathing (including shaving and oral hygiene)
- Hydration/ Nutrition
- Mobility including ambulation, turns and repositioning as needed in bed
- Provides for/feed patiet as necessary
- Consistently and accurately obtains and records the following information for patients as assigned according to shift routine and policy. Reports abnormal/unusual results to RN immediately.
- I & O
- Vital Signs
- Wts/other parameters as directed
- Notes changes in patient status and reports these immediately to the RN on occurrence. Examples include changes in skin color, skin integrity, respiratory status, agitation, confusion.
- Collects specimens for laboratory testing and instructs patients as necessary. Collection shall include labeling and placing (with requisition) in hazardous bag in appropriate place.
- Assists transport with patients (ie: lifting, etc.), transports patients as needed according to safety guidelines and as soon as possible when directed.
- Provides care as appropriate to patients with age specific related needs from adolescence through adulthood and geriatrics.
Assist in maintaining a clean environment.
- Demonstrates knowledge of and adheres to all infection control procedures including handwashing techniques, contact and spills types of precautions, and standard precautions.
- Assist in keeping the unit and patient care areas, clean and orderly on a daily basis and ongoing as needed.
- Stock carts and empty laundry hampers prn during shift and at end of each shift as assigned.
- Cleans equipment and tags items according to policy (e.g. commode, EKG, I.V. poles)
- Prepares patient rooms for admission including orientation to the room.
- Upon discharge, removes linens and any supplies prior to housekeeping clean.
Demonstrates knowledge of maintaining a safe environment.
- Consistently keeps patient's bed in low position with side bed rails up and keeps call light within reach.
- Provides safe care to patients at risk for falls, does not leave patients at risk unattended on commode or toilet according to standard procedure.
- Responds to call lights promptly and conducts hourly rounding on assigned patients.
Demonstrates satisfactory communication/IPR skills.
- Answers telephone in courteous manner, identifies self, relays messages accurately.
- Greets and assists staff, visitors, patients, as needed throughout the hospital.
- Reports on/off to RN at change of shift and whenever leaving nursing unit. Report should include all pertinent information via SBAR format.
- Exhibits self-directed behavior and works co-operatively with the RN and other co-workers to complete assignments. Organizes work to complete tasks in a timely manner.
- Demonstrates a willingness to co-operate, receptiveness to new ideas and accepts constructive criticism and/or assistance readily.
- Exhibits behavior that is not abrasive, rude, abrupt, domineering or condescending when interacting with patients, visitors or other employees.
- Exhibits enthusiasm and initiative in performing assigned tasks and demonstrates productive use of free time by taking on additional tasks without being asked.
- Projects poise and a positive image. ID Badge must be worn while at work.
- Protects organization’s values by keeping patient information confidential.
Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
- Commits to recognize and respect cultural diversity for all customers (internal and external).
- Communicates effectively with internal and external customers with respect of differences in cultures, values, beliefs and ages, utilizing interpreters when needed.
- Serves and protects hospital community by adhering to professional standards, hospital policies and procedures, federal, state, and local requirements and Joint Commission standards.
- Performs other duties as assigned