At Steward Health Care System, we are committed to improving the health of our communities by delivering exceptional, personalized health care with dignity, compassion and respect. Our continued focus on the patient experience informs our caregivers in how to provide care that is respectful of and responsive to individual patient and family preferences, needs and values.
We dedicate ourselves in the communities we serve to delivering affordable health care to all and being responsible partners. No matter what your role, as a member of the Steward family, you are a specialist in the making every patient and family feel right at home, every co-worker a key to our success, and every referring practice, a team of prized colleagues.
In support of this, we commit ourselves to the following values:
If you are seeking a fast-paced, challenging position in an organization committed to achieving and maintaining a standard of excellence in all we do, our organization may be a good fit for you
Nursing Assistant Job Summary
The Nursing Assistant is responsible for providing direct patient care under the direction of a RN/ Clinical Leader. Duties include but are not limited to vital signs, transferring of patients, make occupied and unoccupied beds, measuring of intake and output, and other related duties as assigned. Trained, responsible individual who functions in a complementary or assistive role to a qualified licensed nurse in providing direct patient care or carrying out common nursing assistant functions for which he/ she has documented competencies for proper performance of the task. Assists with activities to assist the patient in meeting basic human needs including but not limited to nutrition, hydration, mobility, comfort, elimination, socialization, rest, and hygiene. Collects, reports and documents simple data.
- Assists patients in and out of chair, bed wheelchair, stretcher, etc
- Makes bed, both occupied and unoccupied; changes linen as necessary
- Assists with treatments as appropriate within scope of responsibility.
- Assists with meals and nourishment including water and fluids; feeds patients as necessary.
- Initiates or performs CPR in an emergency situation
- Performs indwelling catheter care, applies Texas catheters
- Observes, reports, measures and records urinary output, feces and emesis
- Applies ice bags and collars, warm or cold unsterile compresses
- Takes and records weights, temperatures, pulse respirations and blood pressure
- Gives appropriate enemas
- Collects specimens and records information
- Assists with admission, discharge and transfer of patients
- Performs skin care including Incontinence and Decubitus after assessment and as directed by RN
- Observes patients on 1:1 or close observation status
- Applies protective and therapeutic devices
- Assists with placement of Blanketrol
- Assists with post mortem care
- Reports any untoward or unusual occurrences to nurse
- After completion of restraint education and under the direction of RN, may apply and/or assist in restraining patients.
- Considers patient’s safety at all times.
- Reports faulty equipment immediately and in accordance with Hospital Policy.
- Reports unsafe conditions and/or incidents as they occur.
- Maintains patient’s rooms in an neat and orderly manner with a clear walk-in area
- Safely transports patients via wheelchair or stretcher.
- Attach patients to cardiac monitors (in Tele, ICU or ED only).
- Carries out Body Substance Isolation in all patient care to protect self and others.
- Give complete bath/partial bed baths, assists the patient to bath or shower, gives tepid sponge baths, assists the patient with Sitz bath.
- Takes care of patient’s teeth, dentures, nails, feet and shaves patient
- Stores hearing aides, dentures and eyeglasses and other valuables safely and in accordance with Hospital Valuables Policy
Minimum Education Requirements: High school Diploma or GED
Minimum Work Experience: 6 months of experience in a hospital, long-term care or rehabilitation setting preferred.
Other skills and abilities: Customer service
Equipment/Software/Certification: Current MA CNA certification and BLS required
Equal Opportunity Employer
Important COVID message
Please note, Saint Anne’s Hospital is taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment - with confidence and without fear. Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [five-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience: Expanded hours will allow previously cancelled procedures to be scheduled as quickly as possible. Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families. Emergency Departments are reorganized to be a safe place to treat all emergency patients. A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout the hospital. A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient safety. You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled and professional way.