OR Purchasing Coordinator
This Job is located at the Saint Anne’s Hospital Southern New England Surgery Center, in Attleboro MA. A service of Saint Anne’s Hospital in Fall River, the center provides high-quality surgical care and a wide variety of minimally invasive surgical options in specialties that include colorectal surgery, gastroenterology, ophthalmology, orthopedics, pain management, plastic surgery, podiatry, spine surgery, and urology. Our state-of-the-art anesthesia care reduces patients’ post-surgical pain and discomfort and speeds recovery. Together, our team is committed to providing superior, personalized patient care.
The center features a team of more than 40 board-certified surgeons, plus anesthesiologists, registered nurses and surgical technicians. Together, they perform more than 9,000 surgical procedures annually. Some of the most common procedures include endoscopies (e.g., colonoscopy), orthopedic procedures (e.g., arthroscopy), minimally invasive spine surgery, hernia repair, ankle and foot procedures, and a variety of biopsies (e.g., bone, bladder, colon, muscle, prostate, etc.).
POSITION SUMMARY – Operating Room Purchasing Coordinator
Performs selected tasks involving general cleaning, stocking, maintaining, and reordering supplies and equipment under the direct supervision of the Patient Care Director.
- Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
1. Commits to recognize and respect cultural diversity for all customers (internal and external).
2. Communicates effectively with internal and external customers with respect of differences in cultures, values, beliefs and ages, utilizing interpreters when needed.
- Coordinates special order items/inventory with OR Scheduling Department, OR Charge Nurse, and OR
- Monitors historical spend and reports trends appropriately
- Collaborates with Surgeons, OR Charge Nurse, and OR Director to vet new item requests and trials
- Knowledgeable regarding general and specialty equipment required for procedures
- Is able to independently implement the purchasing process and gather all appropriate information in a clear and concise manner the Charge Nurse to review
- Ensures an environment for cost containment
- Works collaboratively with Materials Management to coordinate the purchasing process
- Completes and reviews repair/purchase requests for supplies and equipment; ensures completeness and accuracy
- Performs cost analysis for various products
- Analyzes ordering trends and keeps PCM and Director appraised of increased or decreased usage and costs
- Participates in the borrowing, lending and return efforts within the institution and among other healthcare facilities
- Maintains contract files, tracks delivery dates and coordinates delivery with Materials Management
- Ensures that supply requisitions are complete and delivered to appropriate departments in a timely manner
- Assumes accountability for all merchandise purchased
- Receives and verifies all incoming items
- Keeps abreast of product development through research done
- Establishes and maintains professional relationships with all vendor representatives
- Meets with sales representatives
- Works with representatives to obtain loaner equipment, proposals for new equipment, repairs and replacements as necessary
- Keeps current supply of publications and price changes
- Ensures that vendors utilize the correct entry system for gaining access to departments within the hospital
- Maintains current rolodex of company representatives and their phone numbers
- Maintains vendor correspondence and quotation files
- Organized systems are in place to insure that OR staff is aware when merchandise is received and where it is stored
- Organized systems are in place to insure that OR staff is aware of equipment loaners, repairs/returns and backorders
- Anticipates the needs of the dept. and orders supplies without equipment and supplies being requested
- Maintains appropriate supply levels and restocks accordingly to avoid out of stock inventory
- Stocks procedural carts accordingly
- Able to organize daily activities to have all duties completed in a timely fashion
- Procures sterile and un-sterile supplies from various areas and inspects expiration date
- Cleans and maintains storage areas
- Runs errands to other departments as necessary
- Is cross-trained to secretarial duties in the OR
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Ability to work independently and take initiative.
- Ability to problem solve and trouble shoot minor problems.
- Good communication and organizational skills
- Education: High School diploma or GED
- Experience (Type & Length): Previous experience in ordering and purchasing supplies and knowledge of surgical supplies preferred
- Software/Hardware: Basic computer literacy
Other: Ability to develop, implement and maintain systems for ordering, receiving, tracking and trending of supplies
Equal Opportunity Employer
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.
Important COVID message
Please note, Saint Anne’s Hospital is taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment - with confidence and without fear. Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [five-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience: Expanded hours will allow previously cancelled procedures to be scheduled as quickly as possible. Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families. Emergency Departments are reorganized to be a safe place to treat all emergency patients. A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout the hospital. A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient safety. You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled and professional way.