OR Purchasing Coordinator
At Steward Health Care System, we are committed to improving the health of our communities by delivering exceptional, personalized health care with dignity, compassion and respect. Our continued focus on the patient experience informs our caregivers in how to provide care that is respectful of and responsive to individual patient and family preferences, needs and values.
We dedicate ourselves in the communities we serve to delivering affordable health care to all and being responsible partners. No matter what your role, as a member of the Steward family, you are a specialist in the making every patient and family feel right at home, every co-worker a key to our success, and every referring practice, a team of prized colleagues.
In support of this, we commit ourselves to the following values:
If you are seeking a fast-paced, challenging position in an organization committed to achieving and maintaining a standard of excellence in all we do, our organization may be a good fit for you.
Performs selected tasks involving general cleaning, stocking, maintaining, and reordering supplies and equipment under the direct supervision of the Patient Care Director.
- Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
1. Commits to recognize and respect cultural diversity for all customers (internal and external).
2. Communicates effectively with internal and external customers with respect of differences in cultures, values, beliefs and ages, utilizing interpreters when needed.
- Coordinates special order items/inventory with OR Scheduling Department, OR Charge Nurse, and OR
- Monitors historical spend and reports trends appropriately
- Collaborates with Surgeons, OR Charge Nurse, and OR Director to vet new item requests and trials
- Knowlegeable regarding general and specialty equipment required for procedures
- Is able to independently implement the purchasing process and gather all appropriate information in a clear and concise manner the Charge Nurse to review
- Ensures an environment for cost containment
- Works collaboratively with Materials Management to coordinate the purchasing process
- Completes and reviews repair/purchase requests for supplies and equipment; ensures completeness and accuracy
- Performs cost analysis for various products
- Analyzes ordering trends and keeps PCM and Director appraised of increased or decreased usage and costs
- Participates in the borrowing, lending and return efforts within the institution and among other healthcare facilities
- Maintains contract files, tracks delivery dates and coordinates delivery with Materials Management
- Ensures that supply requisitions are complete and delivered to appropriate departments in a timely manner
- Assumes accountability for all merchandise purchased
- Receives and verifies all incoming items
- Keeps abreast of product development through research done
- Establishes and maintains professional relationships with all vendor representatives
- Meets with sales representatives
- Works with representatives to obtain loaner equipment, proposals for new equipment, repairs and replacements as necessary
- Keeps current supply of publications and price changes
- Ensures that vendors utilize the correct entry system for gaining access to departments within the hospital
- Maintains current rolodex of company representatives and their phone numbers
- Maintains vendor correspondence and quotation files
- Organized systems are in place to insure that OR staff is aware when merchandise is received and where it is stored
- Organized systems are in place to insure that OR staff is aware of equipment loaners, repairs/returns and backorders
- Anticipates the needs of the dept. and orders supplies without equipment and supplies being requested
- Maintains appropriate supply levels and restocks accordingly to avoid out of stock inventory
- Stocks procedural carts accordingly
- Able to organize daily activities to have all duties completed in a timely fashion
- Procures sterile and un-sterile supplies from various areas and inspects expiration date
- Cleans and maintains storage areas
- Runs errands to other departments as necessary
- Is cross-trained to secretarial duties in the OR
- Performs other duties as assigned
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Ability to work independently and take initiative.
- Ability to problem solve and trouble shoot minor problems.
- Good communication and organizational skills.
- Education: High School diploma or GED
- Experience (Type & Length): Previous experience in ordering and purchasing supplies and knowledge of surgical supplies preferred
- Software/Hardware: Basic computer literacy
Other: Ability to develop, implement and maintain systems for ordering, receiving, tracking and trending of supplies
Equal Opportunity Employer
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.
Important COVID message
Please note, Saint Anne’s Hospital is taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment - with confidence and without fear. Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [five-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience: Expanded hours will allow previously cancelled procedures to be scheduled as quickly as possible. Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families. Emergency Departments are reorganized to be a safe place to treat all emergency patients. A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout the hospital. A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient safety. You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled and professional way.