Ostomy/Wound Care Nurse, 40 Hrs/Week, Day/Evening Shift (Monday through Friday), Weekends and Holidays As Needed, Wound/Ostomy Certification Required, Minimum of 3 Years of Experience Required
The Wound/Ostomy Nurse functions as clinical resource and consultant in the management of ostomies, complex wounds, fistulae, pressure, vascular and diabetic ulcers, and skin care problems.
-The Wound/Ostomy Nurse is an RN who has graduated from a WOCN accredited program
-Registered Nurse in the State of MA
-Bachelor’s Degree Required
Responsibilities/Standards of Performance:
1. Provides pre-operative counseling, education and stoma site marking for patients undergoing ostomy surgery
2. Collaborates with Nursing staff and other members of healthcare team to:
a. devise a plan of care that promotes the ostomy patient’s physical,
psychological and social adaption
b. Provide education and counseling for post-operative ostomy patients, family, significant other.
3. Assesses the Ostomy patient returning to the hospital in regards to:
a. At home management of ostomy
b. Knowledge level re:ostomy care
c. Problems with psychological adaptation
4. Provides follow-up to ostomy patients after discharge as indicated.
5. Serves as a consultant in the management of complex wounds and fistulae
6. Provides consultation and direct assistance to nursing staff in the management of patients with altered skin integrity (pressure, vascular and diabetic ulcers, incontinence related).
7. Evaluates patient response to treatment plan and initiates alternative plans as indicated.
8. Collaborates with home care agencies to facilitate smooth patient transition from acute care to home.
9. Provides follow-up consultation to patients discharged to SEMC transitional care unit.
10. Assists staff in maintaining current knowledge and competence in the areas of stoma care, wound and skin integrity management via 1:1 instruction, inservices and CEU offerings.
11. Collaborates with Purchasing Department to evaluate and/or purchase contemporary ostomy/wound care products in a cost-effective manner.
12. Precept WOCN Students
13. Participate in the orientation of new staff/specialty programs (PCA)
14. Attends and contributes toward the Nurse Practice Council meetings
15. May sit on the SEMC institutional review board and attend the monthly member meetings
16. Engage in nursing-related clinical research, which may include recruitment, data collection, analysis and other components of IRB-approved research studies.
17. Attend WOCN-specific conferences that contribute toward furthering the wound/ostomy nurse’s knowledge and clinical performance and which may be required to keep his/her certification current.