The HIM Acute/Facility/Hospital/Emergency Room - Outpatient Coder shall support the Corporate team. The Facility Outpatient ED Coder shall review hospital outpatient medical documentation to assign, sequence, edit and/or validate the appropriate ICD-10-CM, CPT, HCPCS codes. In addition to coding the ED coder shall also abstract for facility E/M levels and Charges for all relevant procedures performed in the ED including, coding Injections and Infusions, as needed. \The coder will be required to have in depth knowledge of front-end coding edits and an understanding of the NCCI guidelines as it applies to all OP edits, as well as modifier application. The Outpatient ED Coder will also perform Charge validation on departmental charges.
The specialist will perform coding across multiple locations based on management needs and will need good technology skills to adapt to multiple applications used within the organization.
- Coding Technical Skills that include CPT, HCPCS, ICD-10-CM
- ED Coding skills to include facility E/M levels, Charging & Coding Injections & Infusions & Modifiers
- Candidate must display a superior knowledge of Coding Guidelines (Coding Clinic, UHDDS Official Coding Guidelines, CCI Edits)
- Analytical Skills that include effective evaluation, synthesis and use of information gathered
- Ability to maintain 96% accuracy rate
- Productivity expectation is 10 charts/hr
- Experience with physician querying is a plus
- Ability to respond to coding issues specific to Outpatient Coding
- Candidate must have experience with 3M and or 3M360 encompass experience using Meditech is preferred
- Candidate must be self-motivated, display a high level of computer literacy, excellent verbal, and written communication skills, able to meet assigned deadlines and organized
- The position will report to the HIM Outpatient Coding Manager
- Ability to meet coding productivity standards
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Minimum 3 years ED coding experience is required
- Comprehensive understanding of UHDDS guidelines, CCI Edits, Coding Clinic, etc.
- Meditech experience required
- Microsoft Office (Word, One Note, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to meet assigned deadlines.
- Education: RHIT or RHIA preferred a plus but not mandatory
- Experience: 3 – 5 years Outpatient coding in acute healthcare setting. Minimum 3 years consecutive coding in the OP specialty applying for
- Certification/Licensure: CCS Certification and or CPC Certification required. RHIA /RHIT a plus, but not mandatory
- Software/Hardware: MediTech, 3M/3M 360 experienced required
- Other: Remote position, but must report to the Richardson, Texas office as needed (onboarding, training, department meetings, etc.).