The Outpatient Emergency Room coder shall review hospital outpatient medical documentation to assign, sequence, edit and/or validate the appropriate ICD-10-CM, CPT, HCPCS codes. The Outpatient Emergency Room coder shall also abstract for facility E/M levels and Charges for all relevant procedures performed in the ED including coding Injections and Infusions.
- Coding Technical Skills that include CPT, HCPCS, ICD-10-CM, ICD 10 PCS
- ED Coding skills to include facility E/M levels, Charging & Coding Injections & Infusions & Modifiers
- In depth knowledge of front-end coding edits and an understanding of the NCCI guidelines as it applies to all OP edits as well as modifier application
- Experience with charge validation with departmental charges.
- Ability to perform coding across multiple locations based on corporate management need
- Technology skills to adapt to multiple applications used within the organization
- Candidate must display a superior knowledge of Coding Guidelines (Coding Clinic, UHDDS Official Coding Guidelines, CCI Edits).
- Analytical Skills that include effective evaluation, synthesis and use of information gathered
- Ability to maintain 95% or greater accuracy rate
- Knowledge of physician query in an outpatient setting
- Ability to respond to coding issues specific to Outpatient Coding
- Candidate must have experience with 3M and/or 3M360 encompass
- Candidate must be self-motivated, display a high level of computer literacy, excellent verbal, and written communication skills, able to meet assigned deadlines, and organized
- The position will report to the HIM Outpatient Coding Manager
- Ability to meet coding productivity standards
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Minimum 1-2 years in Emergency Room Coding Experience required.
- Comprehensive understanding of UHDDS guidelines, CCI Edits, Coding Clinic, etc.
- Meditech experience required
- Microsoft Office (Word, One Note, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to meet assigned deadlines.
- Education: Associate degree preferred
- Experience: 3 years of general outpatient coding in acute care setting.
- Certification/Licensure: CCS and/or CPC certification
- Software/Hardware: 3M experienced required, Meditech experience preferred
- Other: Remote position