Pathology Assistant-Lab-Per Diem
At Steward Health Care System, we are committed to improving the health of our communities by delivering exceptional, personalized health care with dignity, compassion and respect. Our continued focus on the patient experience informs our caregivers in how to provide care that is respectful of and responsive to individual patient and family preferences, needs and values.
If you are seeking a fast-paced, challenging position in an organization committed to achieving and maintaining a standard of excellence in all we do, our organization may be a good fit for you.
Position Summary: Under the technical supervision of the Chair of Pathology and the Administrative Director of Laboratory Services, responsibilities encompass assisting the Pathologists in the grossing of human surgical specimens. The Pathology Assist (PA) may prepare materials for use at oncology conferences upon request and maintain records of tissue and other QA/QC parameters.
- Assure appropriate specimen accessioning and numbering of all surgical specimens.
- Obtain clinical history including scans, x-rays.... when indicated
- Assist the pathologist to describe gross anatomic features, dissect surgical specimens, prepare tissue for microscopic examination to include the preparation for light, electron and immunoflourescent microscopy and Frozen Section diagnosis.
- Obtain biological specimens for analysis and perform special techniques as directed by the pathologist.
- Assure correct coding and filing of surgical protocols and reports.
- Assure proper maintenance of equipment, adequate supply inventory and cleanliness of the surgical pathology suite.
- Obtain proper duly signed and dated "Disposition of Fetal Remains" forms with all products of conception, fetal tissue and fetal specimens.
- Ensures compliance of all federal, state, local and other regulatory agencies.
Education: Degree from a masters level accredited PA program preferred
Experience: 3 years PA experience preferred
Important COVID message
Please note, our Good Samaritan Medical Center is taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment - with confidence and without fear. Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [five-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience: Expanded hours will allow previously cancelled procedures to be scheduled as quickly as possible. Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families. Emergency Departments are reorganized to be a safe place to treat all emergency patients. A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout the hospital. A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient safety. You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled and professional way.
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.