The Pathology Technician performs a variety of functions for the Pathology Department
- Assist to maintain overall workflow within Pathology Department including but not limited to frozen section room, histology, cutting room and secretary office.
- Pick up specimens and deliver to the laboratory from various locations across the hospitals as scheduled.
- Registration of patient demographic information into computer.
- Accession of specimens into Meditech
- Print surgical cassettes
- Assist as needed with setting up and performing the gross dissection of surgical and frozen section specimens.
- Gross small surgical specimens as needed and is responsible for dissection, description and processing of grossed tissue.
- Logs all required information and activities according to the laboratory manual. Maintain all records in a complete, accurate and legible manner.
- Perform routine maintenance and troubleshooting of all Pathology Laboratory Equipment.
- Perform all required Quality Control/Quality Improvement procedures, make any corrections and document results accurately and timely.
- Dispose of specimens
- Perform rapid read preparation and staining of slides for pathologists in GI and Radiology
- Assist with secretary coverage when needed
- Dispose of hazardous waste in safe and proper manner.
- Insure adequate inventory of supplies appropriate for test volume, restock supplies when delivered.
- Performs routine maintenance on all Pathology equipment according to manufacturer’s specifications.
- Follow all organizational, departmental, section and hospital policies. (e.g. Fire Safety, Hazardous Waste etc.)
- Meets departmental time frame of inspection readiness at all times. Insures ongoing compliance with all applicable regulatory agencies including, but not limited to JCAHO, CAP, OSHA, DPH, HCFA, NCCLS, CLIA, and HIPPA.
Associate Degree in Science related field.
One year in a pathology laboratory performing routine laboratory functions or equivalent.