Steward Health Care System, we are committed to improving the health of our communities by delivering exceptional, personalized health care with dignity, compassion and respect. Our continued focus on the patient experience informs our caregivers in how to provide care that is respectful of and responsive to individual patient and family preferences, needs and values.
We dedicate ourselves in the communities we serve to delivering affordable health care to all and being responsible partners. No matter what your role, as a member of the Steward family, you are a specialist in the making every patient and family feel right at home, every co-worker a key to our success, and every referring practice, a team of prized colleagues.
In support of this, we commit ourselves to the following values:
- Picks up and delivers specimens from various locations throughout the hospital and delivers to the pathology department.
- Performs short registrations in the computer as needed.
- Using appropriate patient and specimen identification, accessions specimens and labels necessary slides and cassettes. Makes copies of requisitions as needed for the pathology office and distributes appropriately.
- Processes specimens according to departmental procedures.
- Performs gross dictation on non-complex specimens.
- Assists the pathologist or PA with the setting up and performing the gross dissection of surgical and frozen section specimens.
- Performs gross dictation on non-complex surgical specimens.
- Logs all required information as required by the department.
- Performs all routine maintenance and troubleshooting of tissue processors.
- Loads specimens to appropriate processors.
- Maintains all Pathology equipment and completes required documentation.
- Maintains inventory of all pathology supplies. Refills water and formalin containers as needed.
- Disposes of hazardous waste correctly.
- Resolves routine questions and problems, refers more complex issues to higher levels.
- Follows lab safety protocols, such as the use of PPE and keeping a clean workspace.
- Adheres to laboratory’s quality control policies and doucments all quality control activities.
- Ensures compliance with all local, federal, CLIA, and CAP regulations.
- Assists as needed to perform other related duties and special projects as needed.
- Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
1. Commits to recognize and respect cultural diversity for all customers (internal and external).
2. Communicates effectively with internal and external customers with respect of differences in cultures, values, beliefs and ages, utilizing interpreters when needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
(Examples: Ability to work independently and take initiative; Good judgment and problem solving skills; Communication skills; Interpersonal and organizational skills; Level of confidentiality)
- Knowledge of gross dicatation of patient specimens.
- Detail-oriented and organized with the ability to record patient information and follow through with any discrepancies.
- Good problem solving and analytical skills.
- Ability to work as a team member.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Treats patients and co-workers with respect.
- Education: Associate Degree in Science related field.
- Experience: Prior one year experience in a pathology laboratory including routine laboratory functions and grossing non-complex surgical specimens.
- Certification/Licensure: HT/HTL ASCP preferred
- Software/Hardware: CoPath, Meditech and Dragon Dictation