Location: Carney Hospital
Posted Date: 12/30/2020
INTERNAL 12/30/20 - 1/6/21
TITLE: Patient Access Coordinator
DEPARTMENT: Patient Access
REPORTS TO: (Attach Org Chart if Available):
(Briefly describe the overall purpose of this position - Why does it exist and how does it contribute to the overall organization?)
- Under the direction of the Patient Access Director/Manager/Supervisor, performs duties related to the registration of all patients into the Meditech registration module. Ensures the integrity of all data collected at time of registration for accurate patient identification, demographic and insurance information which will then generate an accurate and complete patient record that will enable the Hospital to maximize reimbursement. Functions as customer service representative and ambassador for the Hospital following CARES values.
(Use bullets for specific responsibilities)
- Welcomes patients, visitors and escorts patients as necessary and consistent with customer service guidelines.
- Verifies patient’s identification and accurately assigns/identifies Medical Record.
- Collect and verify all patient demographic, insurance eligibility, financial responsibility and enters it into the hospital computer system(s) in a timely manner to facilitate patient flow.
- Interviews patients at bedside as needed to facilitate timely and effective solutions.
- Educate patients on financial responsibilities, identify self-pay patients and potential solutions. Identify and collect all residuals via supporting tools and/or payment plans.
- Responsible for consistent knowledge and accurate use and execution of the hospital policies and departments SOP (standard operating procedures), supporting tools, software and websites.
- Ensures all hospital and regulatory requirements are met (including but not limited to: consents/signatures, distribution of patient rights; health care proxies, HIPAA, ABN’s, etc.)
- Meets performance standards established by Patient Access and Hospital leadership, including but not limited to registration quality, collections, confidentiality and customer service.
- Works effectively with fellow co-workers within Patient Access and all other hospital departments.
- Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
1. Commits to recognize and respect cultural diversity for all customers (internal and external).
2. Communicates effectively with internal and external customers with respect of differences in cultures, values, beliefs and ages, utilizing interpreters when needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
(Examples: Ability to work independently and take initiative; Good judgment and problem-solving skills; Communication skills; Interpersonal and organizational skills; Level of confidentiality)
- Excellent customer service and communication skills
- Ability to work independently and take initiative
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task
- Ability to work in a face paced always changing environment
- Establishes and maintains effective working environment
- 3rd party and managed care knowledge
- Medical terminology
- Education: High School Diploma or equivalent required
- Experience (Type & Length): 1-2 years’ experience in a hospital/clinical/physician office
- Software/Hardware: Excel, Microsoft, competence in navigating computer/software applications and ability to type quickly and accurately.