Patient Booking Coordinator
TITLE: Booking Coordinator – 24 Hours/week every other weekend required, 7:00 AM - 3:30 PM - $17.19 - $25.54/hr based on Collective Bargaining Agreement with 1199 SEIU and years of experience.
At Steward Health Care System, we are committed to improving the health of our communities by delivering exceptional, personalized health care with dignity, compassion and respect. Our continued focus on the patient experience informs our caregivers in how to provide care that is respectful of and responsive to individual patient and family preferences, needs and values.
We dedicate ourselves in the communities we serve to delivering affordable health care to all and being responsible partners. No matter what your role, as a member of the Steward family, you are a specialist in the making every patient and family feel right at home, every co-worker a key to our success, and every referring practice, a team of prized colleagues.
In support of this, we commit ourselves to the following values:
Union and Steward Benefits to help you live well!
- Low cost Medical/Prescription Drug Insurance through BCBS
- Dental and Vision Insurance
- 401k via Fidelity for eligible employees with company match
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Worldwide Travel Assistance
- Short- and Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Auto and Home Insurance
- Hospital Indemnity Insurance
Essential Functions and Duties:
- Schedules beds for all admissions, according to departmental and hospital guidelines with no more than 2 supervisory warnings in a 6 month period.
- Maintains daily admission log including urgent, elective and emergency admissions.
- Checks CRT for available beds, calling floors for potential discharges and additional vacant beds not previously reported. With special consideration for patients in observation status.
- Assigns beds according to availability, service, physician preference, or patient request.
- Notifies floors of patients to be admitted as soon as booking is received.
- Notifies admitting representative of room numbers with 100% accuracy.
- Maintains log for private room and VIP utilization.
- Makes appropriate transfers to ensure that beds are available for admissions as per hospital policy with no more than 2 complaints from other departments or supervisory warnings in a six month period.
- Reviews bed board and CRT for possible moves with 100% accuracy.
- Discusses all moves with patient's physician, Senior resident or nursing supervisor as appropriate.
- Notifies transferring and receiving floors of move as soon as possible.
- Changes patients on bed board and in CRT with 100% accuracy.
- Records transfer activity in transfer book with 100% accuracy.
- Coordinates bookings with hospital's nursing liason daily when census is tight according to hospital policy and/or admitting and nursing guidelines.
- Refers physician complaints or problems related to changes in booking admissions to the Admitting Director.
- Discusses need to move patients from critical care units to floors to make room for emergencies with optimizing physician or nursing supervisor as appropriate.
- Maintains register of deaths and monitors the completion of death certificates daily according to State regulations and with 100% accuracy.
- Checks book each shift for missing or incomplete death certificates.
- Calls physician to sign or correct death certificate in a timely manner.
- Calls funeral home to pick up body and certificate in a timely manner.
- Calls Security to escort funeral director to morgue.
- Follows up on need for medical examiner according to State laws and guidelines 100% of the time.
- Monitors changes on the bed board throughout the shift according to departmental guidelines with 100% accuracy.
- Makes bed changes as they occur with 100% accuracy.
- Reconciles bed board with CRT with 100% accuracy and at the end of the shift.
- Keeps nursing liaison aware of problems in placing patients according to admitting and nursing guidelines.
- Reviews day's activity i.e. admissions, discharges, transfers for any appropriate changes.
- Discusses possible problems with specific nursing units in a courteous manner.
- Orients new staff to booking/scheduling function and use of bed board as need arises according to departmental guidelines.
- Explains bed board and bed stress procedures as Directed by Supervisor.
- Reviews color coding by service isolation, VIP, etc..
- Teaches maintenance of death register, including all aspects of reviewing death certificates for accuracy.
- Orient new physicians to scheduling procedures with no more than 2 complaints in a six month period.
- Orients new physicians to completion of death register and booking admissions according to departmental procedures and outside regulations.
- Reconciles hospital census each shift with 100% accuracy, as appropriate.
- Each floor updates census to verify patient status with 100% accuracy.
- Calls floors to verify discrepancies and corrects errors.
- Completes census form and/or reconcile CRT and Bed Board with 100% accuracy. Reviews inpatient admissions processed throughout the day for errors.
- Reviews status of observation patients at each change of shifts.
- Leaves copy of admission or observation errors for Admitting Supervisor.
- Return down machines to on line status. (Admitting, ER, Financial Coun., Pharmacy)
- Attempts recovery by using computer codes when possible.
- Contacts on call Data Processing or Admitting Supervisor for direction if unsuccessful attempt at recovery.
- Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
1. Commits to recognize and respect cultural diversity for all customers (internal and external).
2. Communicates effectively with internal and external customers with respect of differences in cultures, values, beliefs and ages, utilizing interpreters when needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned
Required Knowledge & Skills:
- Strong sense of judgment and problem solving skills
- Strong communication skills and takes initiative
- Strong interpersonal and organization skills
- Education: High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- Experience 1- 2 years experience in hospital/clinical/physician office or related field preferred
- Software/Hardware: General comfort with computer systems / software applications
Important COVID message
Please note, Carney Hospital is taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment - with confidence and without fear. Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [five-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience: Expanded hours will allow previously cancelled procedures to be scheduled as quickly as possible. Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families. Emergency Departments are reorganized to be a safe place to treat all emergency patients. A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout the hospital. A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient safety. You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled and professional way.
Equal Employment Opportunity Notice:
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.