- Resource Allocation: Prepares operating budget, manages and controls expense targets, where applicable revenue projections. Conserves organizational resources by maximizing departmental performance as well as developing and implementing cost saving measures. Manages and utilizes personnel effectively to achieve proper staffing and optimum resource management. Monitors turnover, overtime, and absenteeism. Understands financial statements; develops and operates within budgetary guidelines; is able to justify variances. Oversees daily patient flow, including Admission, discharge and transfer data. Utilizes objective metrics to establish department performance improvement goals, and creates improvement on all outcomes. Develops opportunities to enhance revenues. Oversees planning, preparing, implementing, and monitoring all capital budgets for areas of responsibility. Reports any unsafe conditions, inoperative equipment or other adverse conditions to the appropriate department.
- Customer Commitment: Practices and engenders a superior customer service philosophy among staff. Responds to customer complaints and requests immediately. Ensures employees understand what is expected of them relative to excellent customer service for both internal and external customers; deals with inappropriate customer service immediately. Defines a plan for measuring customer satisfaction; creates a process for annual improvement; continually searches for ways to increase customer satisfaction. Advocates customer’s point of view in developing departmental or system plans and projects. Utilizes positive teamwork in developing system goals; promotes goals and teamwork over individual gain.
- Performance Improvement: Assures quality of patient care services through quality control and performance improvement processes that meet standards established by Joint Commission, DPH, and CMS. Responds to Federal, State, and local inspections in order to remain in compliance with acceptable standards. Is responsible for compliance with appropriate external regulatory requirements including Joint Commission, CMS, HIPPA, and the DPH. Continuously maintains regulatory readiness in department. Supports performance improvement processes and encourages participation by staff through the use of analytical and reporting tools. Participates in and manages performance improvement initiatives in own and other areas. Upholds the mission and philosophy of Saint Anne’s Hospital and Steward Health Care System and holds employees accountable for the same.
- Forecasting and Planning: Develops a process that allows for and creates meaningful dialogue with physicians regarding operational and strategic decisions and planning. Assures seamless delivery of services across the system and care continuum. Coordinates facility development for services integral to each responsible patient care area. Develops business plans for new services as appropriate or requested. Collaborates with representatives from Strategic Communications in the development and implementation of annual communications and marketing plans. Evaluates new products and equipment and forwards recommendations for purchase based upon research. Prepares the annual budget for responsible areas to include volume projections, departmental expenses, salaries, FTEs as well as capital equipment.
- Personal Commitment: Maintains clinical competencies and strives to keep current with new technology and concepts in area of responsibility. Maintains competencies necessary to provide direct care or service to the age of patients served in assigned service area, if applicable. Completes annual mandatory education requirements and participates in appropriate hospital management training and development workshops. Continually learns and develops staff and self; keeps current in trends; participates in professional development opportunities and encourage staff participation; Develops and implements a department specific education plan.
- Employee Commitment: Encourages cooperation and teamwork in accomplishing results. Supports individual and departmental achievement through the use of recognition methods. Actively seeks and acts on ways to improve team effectiveness. Provides training and development for employees to support professional and personal growth, enhance job performance, and improve operational effectiveness. Communicates specific responsibilities and performance standards to each employee. Provides positive and constructive feedback based on employee’s performance and develops a plan of action as needed. Holds staff meetings at least once per month and makes meeting minutes available to staff. Proactively works with staff to ensure that the Director is available and accessible to staff. Ensures that all staff has attended required education programs and includes staff in department goal setting. Achieves departmental employee opinion results that are equal or greater than the national benchmarks and prior period results. Constructively and consistently deals with inappropriate employee behavior or actions immediately in a direct and confidential manner that maintains the employee’s self-esteem. Documents expectations and corrective actions. Completes performance appraisals on time 100% of the time, includes meaningful comments and follows through on action plans, returns to HR on time. Creates commitment and ownership, encourages responsibility, helps others to set proper goals and priorities, delegates with clear expectations.
- Organizational Commitment: Selects appropriate form of communication to convey information. Creates an atmosphere in which clear and timely information flows between self and others and interdepartmental. Maintains positive attitude and fosters effective relationships within own and other departments. Adheres to hospital policies and procedures and identifies how policies and procedures can be modified to improve/strengthen organization al performance. Monitors all processes to insure that all compliance and regulatory standards are met. Fosters and maintains a safe working environment. Demonstrates leadership skills by using direct, open, and honest communication methods; gives feedback on issues, participates in management meetings, and provides feedback into operational and strategic decisions.
- Growth and Program Development: Demonstrates knowledge of organizational awareness by promoting system needs in planning and in practice. Uses sensitivity to both the people and technical needs of change processes, considers the impact of change on the needs of people and the nature of the work. Develops and/or participates in the development of a departmental specific strategic and operational plan. Seeks opportunities for integrating programs and services that will support Saint Anne’s Hospital. Translates business strategies into concrete objectives and business plans. Identifies, supports, and uses new technologies and methods to improve productivity and a competitive edge. Coordinates and implements affiliation relationships with other disciplines and departments including clinical services. Serves as internal consultant for internal departments and external organizations regarding specific areas of responsibility.
- Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
Commits to recognize and respect cultural diversity for all customers (internal and external). Communicates effectively with internal and external customers with respect of differences in cultures, values, beliefs and ages, utilizing interpreters when needed.
Performs other duties as assigned