Patient Care Technician-ICU-FT/Days
At Steward Health Care System, we are committed to improving the health of our communities by delivering exceptional, personalized health care with dignity, compassion and respect. Our continued focus on the patient experience informs our caregivers in how to provide care that is respectful of and responsive to individual patient and family preferences, needs and values.
If you are seeking a fast-paced, challenging position in an organization committed to achieving and maintaining a standard of excellence in all we do, our organization may be a good fit for you.
Schedule: 32 Hours, 7a-3:30p, Every Other Weekend, Full-Time, Benefit Eligible, ICU
The Patient Care Tech operates under the supervision of the RN. The Patient Care Tech is a fast paced, multi faceted role. The Patient Care Tech provides or assists with physical care of patients including but not limited to skin care, ADLs, and safety. The Patient Care Tech may be responsible for safety or suicide watch. The Patient Care Tech also proactively supports the CCU by autonomously ensuring all equipment, special order supplies and materials are in a ready state and immediately available. The Patient Care Tech participates in fiscal responsibility through appropriate inventory control; collaboration with purchasing department; and ensuring appropriate and timely patient charges. The Patient Care Tech may perform Unit Coordinator functions, customer service to visitors and telephone management. The patient care tech may periodically participate in unit specific projects, tasks or other duties within the scope of his/her job duties and past experiences including but not limited to typing, data entry.
• Provides a safe environment for patients, staff and visitors
• Provides ADLs to patients as directed
• Assists with skin care, positioning and ambulation
• Performs safety and or suicide one to one observation and documents appropriately
• Adheres to universal and posted precautions
• Coordinates meal and break relief for sitters and unit coordinator
• Provides exceptional customer service to all visitors and patients
• Assesses compliance of unit environment with regulatory standards (Joint Commission, DPH etc) and intervenes regularly as appropriate
• Maintains privacy and complies with all medical center policies of HIPPA, Ethics and professional conduct
• Participates in quality improvement activities and data collection as designated
• Performs glucose checks as directed by RN
• Autonomously anticipates the need for daily patient care equipment and collaborates with clinical engineering to maintain a ready state
• Troubleshoots minor equipment issues and initiates process for timely repair or temporary replacement with clinical engineering
• Recovers missing equipment and maintains accurate inventory of CCU specific equipment
• Collaborates with CPD and storeroom to maintain appropriate par levels of supplies based on census and utilization
• Maintains supplies in designated areas not otherwise stocked by storeroom (patient cabinets, precaution carts, med room, special procedure room)
• Collaborates with staff and CWOCN on appropriate bed rentals and maintains inventory and timely returns of all rentals
• Maintains accurate and retrievable purchasing records
• Utilizes computerized inventory ordering and tracking software
• Collaborates with PCD on monthly compliance with inventory budget and tracks both positive and negative trends
• Communicates effectively with purchasing department for unit specific and special order inventory
• Collaborates with and serves as resource to other nursing units requiring specialized equipment or supply ordering or acquisition
• Recommends product replacements to minimize expenditures when appropriate
• Independently identifies opportunities to control expenses and reports opportunities to PCD
• Serves as liaison for approved product vendors and collaborates with PCD and education on product trials
• Assists with Unit Coordinator functions as needed including but not limited to: order entry, answering phones, customer service to visitors and patients
• Responds to call lights and equipment alarms in timely manner
• Provides errand assistance within the medical center as appropriate
• Communicates effectively and provides excellent customer service to both internal and external customers
• Assists with clean and safe appearance of the CCU. Collaborates with environmental care and facilities to identify and resolve concerns
• Collaborates with charge nurse to facilitate appropriate patient flow
• Proactively prepares rooms for admission
• Facilitates timely room and equipment turn over.
• Identifies own learning needs and seeks appropriate education
• Adheres to CGSMC policies of attendance, conduct, and standards of behavior
• Assists in the orientation of new medical center and department staff as appropriate
• Attends unit staff meetings to contribute to opportunity identification and improvement
• Demonstrates willingness to learn, develop and implement new systems, processes and procedures
• Completes all mandatory in services and standards as defined by CGSMC policy and PCD
Required Knowledge & Skills: Medical terminology, computer skills, phone skills
Education: HS diploma or equivalent
Experience: Must have prior in hospital patient experience OR posses current Massachusetts CNA OR completed at least 1 year of clinical rotation in an accredited RN program. Unit Coordinator, Secretary or Administrative assistant or equivalent experience.
Important COVID Message
Please note, our Good Samaritan Medical Center is taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment - with confidence and without fear. Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [five-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience: Expanded hours will allow previously cancelled procedures to be scheduled as quickly as possible. Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families. Emergency Departments are reorganized to be a safe place to treat all emergency patients. A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout the hospital. A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient safety. You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled and professional way.