Transporting Patients, Medical Equipment and Patient Related Items
- Responds to transport requests with a sense of urgency, meeting time delivery goals.
- Ensures patient safety by following established procedures and using only approved rolling equipment.
- Ensures proper transport of patients with specific needs, for example: those requiring oxygen tanks, cardiac cath patients, young children or elderly patients, IV’s, drainage tubes, etc.
- Follows department protocols using dispatch system appropriately.
- Transport patients between departments and to and from patient care areas via wheelchair, stretcher, bed and other transport equipment, or ambulation as requested.
- Maintains patient’s chart during transport and ensures confidentiality of patient information at all times.
Care of Transport Equipment and Supplies
- Collects and returns wheelchairs and stretchers and various equipment to their proper locations.
- Disinfects and cleans transport equipment before and after each patient use and as required.
- Maintains equipment and reports equipment needing repairs.
- Follows hospital department protocols for checking in patients and verifying their identity and following specific precautions identified.
- Ensures comfort of the patient in all cases.
- Alerts caregivers immediately to any signs of patient distress or equipment malfunction.
- Assists hospital staff when needed in moving patients.
- Works closely with hospital staff and openly communicates and problem solves to ensure client and patient needs are met.
- Considers needs of family members and visitors of patients when necessary.
Program Quality Standards
- Meets all performance related standards including response, active and completion times.
- Ensures timely response to all patient and patient-related transportation requests and logs into TeamThroughput™ dispatching system immediately in accordance with established guidelines.
- Adheres to all policies, procedures and standards established by all regulatory agencies including but not limited to Federal, State, JCAHO, OSHA, and CDC.
- Maintains a patient/customer focus fostering a teamwork environment.
- Follows hospital specific protocols, for example: isolation and radiation precautions.
- Adheres to standard universal and disease-specific precautions and the OSHA blood borne pathogen standard.
- Uses safe lifting procedures and practices when transferring patients to and from wheelchairs, stretchers, beds, etc.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Strives for professional and personal growth.
- Actively participates in orientation and training activities.
- Adheres to all Human Resource policies and procedures including those listed in the Employee Handbook and established by the Hospital and Department.
- Works as charge when necessary.
- Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
1. Commits to recognize and respect cultural diversity for all customers (internal and external).
2. Communicates effectively with internal and external customers with respect of differences in cultures, values, beliefs and ages, utilizing interpreters when needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned