At Steward Health Care System, we are committed to improving the health of our communities by delivering exceptional, personalized health care with dignity, compassion and respect. Our continued focus on the patient experience informs our caregivers in how to provide care that is respectful of and responsive to individual patient and family preferences, needs and values.
We dedicate ourselves in the communities we serve to delivering affordable health care to all and being responsible partners. No matter what your role, as a member of the Steward family, you are a specialist in the making every patient and family feel right at home, every co-worker a key to our success, and every referring practice, a team of prized colleagues.
In support of this, we commit ourselves to the following values:
Responsible for the safe, timely and accurate transport of patients, medical equipment and patient-related items to their destinations enabling physicians, nurses, technicians, and therapists to perform their duties in an effective manner. Ensures positive patient and customer satisfaction, proper utilization of body mechanics, adherence to policies, procedures and standards established by Hospital, Department and Regulatory Agencies.
Acts as a positive role model and team player demonstrating company and hospital mission and values.
Transporting Patients, Medical Equipment and Patient Related Items
- Responds to transport requests with a sense of urgency, meeting time delivery goals.
- Ensures patient safety by following established procedures and using only approved rolling equipment.
- Ensures proper transport of patients with specific needs, for example: those requiring oxygen tanks, cardiac cath patients, young children or elderly patients, IV’s, drainage tubes, etc.
- Follows department protocols using dispatch system appropriately.
- Transport patients between departments and to and from patient care areas via wheelchair, stretcher, bed and other transport equipment, or ambulation as requested.
- Maintains patient’s chart during transport and ensures confidentiality of patient information at all times.
Care of Transport Equipment and Supplies
- Collects and returns wheelchairs and stretchers and various equipment to their proper locations.
- Disinfects and cleans transport equipment before and after each patient use and as required.
- Maintains equipment and reports equipment needing repairs.
- Follows hospital department protocols for checking in patients and verifying their identity and following specific precautions identified.
- Ensures comfort of the patient in all cases.
- Alerts caregivers immediately to any signs of patient distress or equipment malfunction.
- Assists hospital staff when needed in moving patients.
- Works closely with hospital staff and openly communicates and problem solves to ensure client and patient needs are met.
- Considers needs of family members and visitors of patients when necessary.
Program Quality Standards
- Meets all performance related standards including response, active and completion times.
- Ensures timely response to all patient and patient-related transportation requests and logs into Team Throughput™ dispatching system immediately in accordance with established guidelines.
- Adheres to all policies, procedures and standards established by all regulatory agencies including but not limited to Federal, State, JCAHO, OSHA, and CDC.
- Maintains a patient/customer focus fostering a teamwork environment.
- Follows hospital specific protocols, for example: isolation and radiation precautions.
- Adheres to standard universal and disease-specific precautions and the OSHA blood borne pathogen standard.
- Uses safe lifting procedures and practices when transferring patients to and from wheelchairs, stretchers, beds, etc.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Strives for professional and personal growth.
- Actively participates in orientation and training activities.
- Adheres to all Human Resource policies and procedures including those listed in the Employee Handbook and established by the Hospital and Department.
- Works as charge when necessary.
- Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
- Commits to recognize and respect cultural diversity for all customers (internal and external).
- Communicates effectively with internal and external customers with respect of differences in cultures, values, beliefs and ages, utilizing interpreters when needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Effective verbal and listening communication skills.
- Service/Quality focused to meet a wide range of needs.
- Able to navigate to/from various locations throughout the facility.
- Problem solver that can think quickly in cases of emergencies or unusual situations
- Able to multi-task and work at a fast pace
- Displays neat, professional appearance with a smile
- Physical ability to withstand frequent to prolonged walking, standing, pushing, pulling, and transferring patients.
Education: High School Diploma, GED preferred or equivalent
Experience: Experience Preferred
Important COVID message
Please note, Carney Hospital is taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment - with confidence and without fear. Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [five-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience: Expanded hours will allow previously cancelled procedures to be scheduled as quickly as possible. Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families. Emergency Departments are reorganized to be a safe place to treat all emergency patients. A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout the hospital. A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient safety. You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled and professional way.
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.