Steward Health Care System LLC ("Steward") is a fully integrated, physician-led national health care services organization committed to providing the highest quality of care in the most cost-efficient manner in the communities where out patents live. Steward - the largest privately held health care company in the U.S. - owns and operations 35 community hospitals across nine states, serves over 1,000 distinct communities and employs approximately 40,000 health care professionals. In addition to our hospitals, the Steward provider network includes 4,800 providers, 25 urgent care centers, 87 preferred skilled nursing facilities, substantial behavioral health offerings, over 7,300 hospital beds under management, and approximately 1.5 million full risk covered lies through the company's managed care and health insurance services.
Steward Medical Group (SMG), Inc. is Steward's multi-specialty group practice with over 4,500 employees including over 1,800 physicians and advanced practitioners. SMG operates approximately 450 practice locations throughout Massachusetts, Southern New Hampshire, Rhode Island, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Florida, Utah, Arizona, Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas, and provides more than 4 million patient encounters per year.
The Navigator will work directly with providers and patients to ensure that specialty appointments are scheduled in a timely manner by coordinating referrals from Primacare & Hawthorn providers to specialty providers within Steward. An effective Patient Navigator will build relationships, solve problems, direct patients to resources and manage information.
- Respond to requests from Compass & Hawthorn providers who are treating patients that require specialty appointments.
- Reduce barriers that keep patients from getting timely treatment by identifying patient needs and directing them to sources of support. The Navigator should find creative solutions to patient barriers.
- Work directly with patient and specialty providers within Steward to ensure that all appointments are kept in the network and scheduled within the appropriate timeframe.
- Obtain prior authorization for patient appointments.
- Build professional relationships with providers at Compass & Hawthorn and establish appropriate communication methods to ensure requests for specialty appointments are received in a timely manner.
- Determine key contacts and maintain a presence with Steward specialty providers as well as office staff. The Navigator should be intimately familiar with provider specific specialties so they can effectively schedule appointments for patients.
- Build awareness among providers/office staff so they are familiar Navigator services. Provide training if necessary.
- Conduct on-going evaluation and quality improvement of the Navigator services to ensure best practices. Recommend areas of improvement to Steward Leadership.
- Determine the urgency of each patient need and schedule appointment in a timely fashion.
- Escalate issues with appointments to the specialty provider directly.
- Fulfill the duty and responsibility to maintain competence, and continued personal and professional growth.
- Track outcomes of referrals and provide reporting to Steward Leadership.
- Establish processes and standards that ensure consistent and optimal navigation.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent amount of education and experience. Master’s degree preferred.
- Experience: Three years of experience working within a healthcare environment, specifically working with providers and patients
- Software/Hardware: Strong knowledge in Microsoft Office applications – Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint.
- Must possess the ability to work independently with strong organizational, communication and interpersonal skills to support the management of multiple priorities, at multiple locations, with significant attention to detail for completion of both verbal and written external communications.
- Demonstrated competency in applying evidence based knowledge, theory, practices, principles and processes.
- Strong problem solving, relationship building and advocacy skills.
- Ability to prioritize workload, handle multiple tasks and work independently.
- Ability to work with all levels of individuals within the organization.
- Demonstrated ability to be a patient advocate and protect the health, safety and rights of the patient.
- Demonstrated competency in applying evidence based knowledge, theory, practices, principles and processes
- Ability to show cultural sensitivity with a diverse group of individuals.
- Ability to prioritize and manage a several projects with demanding work loads.
- Understands and complies with highest standards of confidentiality.