Patient Safety ObserverÂ - 40 hrs/wk - Nights, alternating weekends, rotating holidays
About Steward Health Care
Nearly a decade ago, Steward Health Care System emerged as a different kind of health care company designed to usher in a new era of wellness. One that provides our patients better, more proactive care at a sustainable cost, our providers unrivaled coordination of care, and our communities greater prosperity and stability.
As the country’s largest physician-led, tax paying, integrated health care system, our doctors can be certain that we share their interests and those of their patients. Together we are on a mission to revolutionize the way health care is delivered - creating healthier lives, thriving communities and a better world.
Steward is among the nation’s largest and most successful accountable care organizations (ACO), with more than 5,500 providers and 43,000 health care professionals who care for 12.3 million patients a year through a closely integrated network of hospitals, multispecialty medical groups, urgent care centers, skilled nursing facilities and behavioral health centers.
Based in Dallas, Steward currently operates 39 hospitals across Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Utah.
For more information, visit www.steward.org.
Patient Safety Observer - 40 hrs/wk - Nights, alternating weekends, rotating holidays
As a member of St. Elizabeth's Medical Center pledges to: foster excellence in care; commit to those in need; affirm the value and dignity of life; exercise justice and responsibility for the common good; and advocate for the poor and disenfranchised.
Our mission finds expression and is animated by the core values of:
The Patient Sitter performs one to one observation with patients admitted for an attempted suicide, with patients considered actively suicidal and on all patients who may harm themselves or for other safety reasons.
Responsibilities for patients at risk for suicide, self-injury, harm to others, and disorientation:
- Must be within arms length of the patient at all times, unless other-wise directed by the charge RN.
- Must be able to visually monitor patient at all times.
- Must continuously observe and physically accompany patient to the bathrooms or when patient has to go off the unit for tests.
- Must make every effort to respect the dignity of the patient.
- May not leave the patient unattended for any period of time unless relieved by another staff member.
- If assistance is needed, the sitter must call out for help. If situation is not an emergency, sitter may use call night or telephone in room.
- Must maintain verbal contact with the patient while awake to provide ongoing monitoring of communication indicating suicidal thoughts, and observe for sudden changes in behavior, and other changes in behavior which may indicate suicide potential.
- Must report any significant changes in physical and mental status, such as sudden changes in behavior and/or verbalization suicidal thoughts and behavior to the assigned RN immediately.
- Must report verbalizations and/or behaviors of; self-injury, harming others, self-harm or attempts to leave the hospital to the assigned RN. immediately.
- Demonstrates awareness of potentially hazardous items and informs all Medical Center personnel entering the patient's room to leave any hazardous items outside the room.
Continuously monitors environment for potentially hazardous items and reports presence of hazardous items to assigned RN.
- Obtains assistance appropriately, according to situations:
* Demonstrates awareness of:
~ The behaviors/verbalizations and patient issues that require reporting to the
charge or assigned RN., and immediacy of need to report this information.
- Manages emergency situations safely:
* Reports emergency situations immediately and appropriately.
* Intervenes with patient appropriately.
* Responsibilities when patient is in restraints:
~ Performs safety checks by checking restrained extremities at least every 15
minutes for; restraint intact circulation, comfort, and body alignment.
~ Documents safety checks on the restraint observation and documentation record
and/or medical/surgical flow sheet.
~ Notifies charge RN./assigned RN. if restraints need adjustment.
High school diploma or equivalency.
Able to communicate verbally and in writing in the English Language.
Able to lift, transfer and move patients.
Must attend 1:1 observation class.
Successful completion of 1:1 observation class.
Steward Health Care is proud to be a minority, physician owned organization. Diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging are at the foundation of the care we provide, the community services we support and all our employment practices. We do not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.
Important COVID message
Please note, St. Elizabeth's Medical Center is taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment - with confidence and without fear. Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [five-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence, and convenience: Expanded hours will allow previously cancelled procedures to be scheduled as quickly as possible. Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families. Emergency Departments are reorganized to be a safe place to treat all emergency patients. A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout the hospital. A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient safety. You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled, and professional way.
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!Apply Online
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 114966