Patient Safety Sitter Full Time Nights
About Steward Health Care
Nearly a decade ago, Steward Health Care System emerged as a different kind of health care company designed to usher in a new era of wellness. One that provides our patients better, more proactive care at a sustainable cost, our providers unrivaled coordination of care, and our communities greater prosperity and stability.
As the country’s largest physician-led, tax paying, integrated health care system, our doctors can be certain that we share their interests and those of their patients. Together we are on a mission to revolutionize the way health care is delivered - creating healthier lives, thriving communities and a better world.
Steward is among the nation’s largest and most successful accountable care organizations (ACO), with more than 5,500 providers and 43,000 health care professionals who care for 12.3 million patients a year through a closely integrated network of hospitals, multispecialty medical groups, urgent care centers, skilled nursing facilities and behavioral health centers.
Based in Dallas, Steward currently operates 39 hospitals across Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Utah.
For more information, visit www.steward.org.
***Patient Safety Sitter 32hrs/Nights
In each of our hospitals, the Patient Safety Observer role exists to maintain a safe environment for the patients to whom the Observer is assigned to constantly monitor without distraction. Patients requiring observers are those who are considered at high-risk either to themselves or others.
The Patient Safety Observer is required to maintain an unobstructed view of the patient at all times, this includes when in the bathroom and accompanying the patient to any testing. The Patient Safety Observer monitors the safety of the patient and reports any changes to the Registered Nurse overseeing the patient’s care.
- The Patient Safety Observer maintains constant observation of the patient, facing the patient, and does not leave the patient unattended (including when visitors are present) and does not leave without RN approval and relief.
- Receives, reviews, and discusses the RN’s report detailing any special needs/monitoring.
- Immediately reports any observed changes in the patient’s behavior or condition to the duty nurse via the intercom system or other available mediums. Informs the RN of any patient complaints related to their health.
- Calls the appropriate code if needed.
- Performs patient assistance activities as related to ambulation and mobilization safely, including, but not limited to, assisting patients out of and returning to their bed/chair primarily for bathroom needs (if monitoring only one patient).
- Regularly conducts room safety sweeps per policy and ensures that potentially hazardous items are removed whenever possible.
- Monitors applied restraints to ensure patient safety and comfort.
- Assists in dressing and undressing the patient as needed and securing clothes and belongings as per company standard to ensure the patient’s safety.
- Maintains a professional and safe appearance, to include not wearing any items around the neck that could be used as a weapon.
- Documents all observations on the patient safety sheet as instructed and within designated timeframes.
- Always ensures patient confidentiality, and refrains from discussing patient information with anyone other than the assigned nurse and physician.
- Communicates in a professional and empathetic manner with the patient at all times, by listening and acknowledging patient’s complaints and refers such complaints to the RN. Any complaints that cannot be resolved at the point of care shall be referred to the patient advocate. Refrains from conversations with patients regarding their medical condition or plan of care. Greets the patient and introduces themselves at the beginning of each assignment.
- Solely dedicated to observing the patient throughout the shift. The Patient Safety Observer shall not bring personal items such as phones, food, books, or magazines into the room.
- Maintains infection prevention standards during all activities.
- Maintains personal and professional boundaries at all times, including refraining from sharing personal information.
Education / Experience / Other Requirements
Years of Experience:
Required Skills and Knowledge:
Steward Health Care is proud to be a minority, physician owned organization. Diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging are at the foundation of the care we provide, the community services we support and all our employment practices. We do not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.
Important COVID message
Please note, Morton Hospital is taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment - with confidence and without fear. Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [five-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience: Expanded hours will allow previously cancelled procedures to be scheduled as quickly as possible. Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families. Emergency Departments are reorganized to be a safe place to treat all emergency patients. A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout the hospital. A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient safety. You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled and professional way.
This position is subject to the COVID-19 Vaccination Policy for Steward Health Care Workforce. Employees in this position will be required to provide adequate proof of vaccination for COVID-19 by an FDA-approved vaccine prior to starting work. Steward will consider requests for exemptions from this vaccine requirement on the basis of medical condition or sincerely held religious belief in accordance with applicable Federal laws.
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!Apply Online
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 128868