Per Diem RN I
The Registered Nurse, as a professional practitioner of nursing, implements the Nursing Process, demonstrates advanced skills and techniques, demonstrates leadership skills in unit management, and assumes responsibility and accountability for professional behavior and practice. Collaborates with other health care members in providing care.
* Graduate of an accredited School of Nursing.
* Current RN licensure in Massachusetts.
* Documentation of ongoing continuing education and presence at mandatory programs.
* BLS Certification from the American Heart Association (AHA) Required
* ACLS Certification Preferred
* 5 yrs surgical experience required
* BSN Preferred
Nursing Director/Nurse Manager
* Involves other departments in project planning and implementation.
* Is supportive of others and provides help and assistance when possible.
* Regularly attends and participates in team and/or department meetings and work activities.
* Keeps others informed.
* Regularly offers and requests constructive feedback and coaching.
* Establishes and maintains effective working relations.
SERVICE EXCELLENCE (both internal and external)
* Welcomes patients and customers in a warm, friendly manner.
* Actively listens and constructively responds to questions and concerns in a timely manner.
* Ensures the dignity of patient/customer is maintained at all times.
* Abides by and upholds the Hospital Service Excellence Standards.
* Respects the diversity of the patient/customer population (i.e. ages and culture).
USE OF NURSING PROCESS IN PATIENT CARE
* Interviews and identifies obvious and potential patient problems. Formulates nursing diagnoses and verifies Advanced Directive.
* Initiates and completes age appropriate systems review and initial assessment within 24 hours, as appropriate to area.
* Initiates, as appropriate, additional specific assessment forms, e.g. skin integrity form, patient at risk for falls.
* Initiates and documents, at time of admission, proposed discharge needs.
* Identifies goals and expected outcomes in patient care collaborating with patient and/or patient representative.
* Maintains continual reassessment and documents in nursing progress notes, utilizing the nursing process.
* Acts as a resource to other staff and assistive personnel.
* Initiates a nursing plan of care within 24 hours, as appropriate to area, based on assessment data and guidelines of practice.
* Collaborates with the patient, family, and other health care professionals in developing plan of care and identifying mutually accepted goals.
* Revises nursing diagnoses and goals of nursing care to meet the changes in the patient's status and perception of outcome goals.
* Initiates a multidisciplinary approach to discharge planning.
* Designs a teaching plan with specific components that fulfill the teaching/learning needs of the patient/family representative.
* Assists other health professionals in planning care.
* Assumes accountability for providing safe care to patients and demonstrates efficiency in prioritizing patient care within established policies and guidelines of nursing practice.
* Prepares patients physically and psychologically for treatments, surgical procedures, and diagnostic studies.
* Demonstrates safe and effective use of equipment.
* Participates and assists other in the planning, implementation and coordination of health teaching and counseling of the patient, family, or patient representative.
* Coordinates and assists others in initiating appropriate referrals for discharge and follow-up care and documents this in the record.
* Utilizes appropriate measures to prevent transmission of infectious disease. Washes hands appropriately, uses barrier protection as warranted, utilizes sterile technique and isolation protocols/universal precautions.
* Ensures safe care through positive patient identification prior to all procedures (e.g. blood transfusion).
* Demonstrates knowledge of restraint protocol and safe management of the patient in restraints (protective, mechanical, and chemical).
* Demonstrates knowledge, skill and adherence to policies for the following nursing interventions:
* medication administration
* blood administration
* IV therapy
* point of care testing
* Demonstrates competence in applying nursing skills in stressful, acute and complex situations.
Evaluation of Patient Care
* Reviews patient status with physicians and other health care professionals and revises nursing care plans to reflect changes.
* Measures the effectiveness of care, based on nursing process and identified patient outcomes.
* Evaluates and revises the teaching and discharge plans in collaboration with patient/family representative and other health care professionals.
* Identifies and actively participates in quality assurance and improvement activities. Serves as a resource.
DOCUMENTATION AND COMMUNICATION
* Documents patient response to and level of understanding of treatments, procedures, medication and teaching at designated intervals on appropriate records.
* Summarizes and documents patient status on transfer/discharge, including needs and goals.
* Communicates clearly, concisely and accurately in shift-to-shift report.
* Records and reports information through appropriate channels.
* Demonstrates competency in basic computer skills and seeks help from resources as needed.
MANAGEMENT AND LEADERSHIP SKILLS
* Demonstrates leadership skills in charge responsibilities. Provides appropriate guidance to other staff nurses.
* Establishes priorities in the management of patient care. Demonstrates ability to adapt to new or unexpected situations.
* Demonstrates ability to utilize identified patient acuity as a basis for determining appropriate staff assignments.
* Recognizes own limitations and seeks help from appropriate resources in making clinical decisions (i.e., resource nurses, clinical nurse specialists, other disciplines).
* Demonstrates knowledge of and compliance with nursing policies and procedures, and practice standards (e.g. JCAHO, DMH, DPH).
* Demonstrates knowledge of and compliance with pertinent health care laws, (e.g. abuse, consent, guardianship).
* Acts as a mentor/role model for staff and students. Assumes preceptor role.
* Demonstrates strong interpersonal skills in professional relationships including conflict management.
* Demonstrates support for evidence based practice and nursing research as evidenced by consistently questioning rationale and plans for patient care and delivery methods.
* Participates in performance improvement activities using evidenced based practice.
* Makes recommendations for changes in practice based on integration of evidence nursing and research findings; and evaluates effectiveness of practice changes.
* Maintains confidentiality of patient information.
* Demonstrates knowledge of and advocacy for patient rights.
* Demonstrates courtesy, tact, and professional behavior in relationships with patients, families, visitors, peers, and others.
* Complies with personnel policies/guidelines, including mandatory education requirements.
* Participates in activities related to the development of professional skills through meetings, conferences and other planned activities.
* Demonstrates flexibility in response to reassignments.
* Responds appropriately during unexpected events.
* Provides guidance to other staff and assistive personnel.
* Identifies advanced nursing skills and implements a plan for skill acquisition to improve nursing practice.
* Identifies and evaluates professional goals yearly.
* Fulfills goals within established time frame.
* Displays ability to accept and respond appropriately to recommendations for change.
* Seeks additional education opportunities in relevant clinical areas.
* Participates on committees and/or unit based projects on unit needs.