Pharm Tech Certified-Retail Pharmacy-40 Hrs/Week-Day/Evening Shift-Weekends As Needed
I. Position Function: Under the direct supervision of a Registered Pharmacist, performs non-clinical decision-making aspects of medication handling, prescription computer input, patient interactions, and clerical tasks.
II. Job Relationships: Reports directly to Pharmacy Manager.
Supervised by Registered Pharmacists on duty.
III. Authority: Has the requisite authority required to accomplish the objectives of the pharmacy department as outlined in the responsibilities/essential functions under the direct supervision of a Registered Pharmacist and in accordance with state and federal regulations.
IV. A. Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
1.) "Provides superior customer service to internal and external clients, customers,
and patients as referenced in the “Achieving Excellent Care Standards", while abiding by all “Standards of Behavior-Respect, Communication, Compassion, Teamwork, and Accountability.”
2.) Must be team-oriented and possess excellent organizational and productivity skills to perform duties in a high volume pharmacy. Must possess proficient skills to work with pharmacy computer software and pharmacy automation systems.
* Answer and screen all telephone calls.
- Refer all clinical inquiries to a Registered Pharmacist.
- Answer patient non-clinical questions pertaining to mail delivery or pick up of medications.
- Take refill requests including the name of the medication, prescription number, full name of patient, and any drug allergies that patient may have.
- Answer pharmacy benefit questions for members, providers, or nursing staff.
* Take oral prescription orders for new and refill medications from a designee of a provider's office and complete a read-back of information given to verify the order is taken correctly.
* Conduct prescription transfers to and from other pharmacies in accordance with state and federal regulations.
* Service the drop-off window.
- Receive prescriptions from patients and get all necessary information, including clarifying the name, date of birth, insurance, and drug-allergy information for the patient.
* Service the pick-up window.
- Provide patients with their medication and verify the full name and address and date of birth of the patient to make sure the correct medication is being picked up.
- Offer the patient the availability of a Registered Pharmacist to counsel them on their medications or answer any questions they may have.
- Collect co-pays for medications from the patients.
* Computer data input for prescriptions.
- Under the direct supervision of a Registered Pharmacist, input all data necessary to process new, refill, and on-file prescriptions except when a clinical decision is required. In that case a Registered Pharmacist must complete the data entry.
* Process patient requests for renewal of prescriptions through the corresponding provider office. Follow up to make sure that renewals are received and processed.
* Prepare medications for a Registered Pharmacist's final check.
- Read and interpret prescriptions to select the correct medication to fill that prescription.
- Count, pour, compound, and label the prescription for the final check by a Registered Pharmacist.
* Perform monthly outdate medication check and prepare them for return for credit.
* Package checked prescriptions for mail order. Will work with US mail and FedEx.
* Process wholesale drug orders to ensure that all medications are received and placed into stock. Make sure stock is rotated and tagged properly for all “Look-alike/Sound-alike” medications.
* Process 'cover' prescriptions as required by state and federal regulations.
* File filled prescriptions according to all state and federal regulations for each scheduled class (II, III, IV, and V, and VI).
* Process medication floor stock requisitions.
* Assists in training and helping new employees.
* Perform duties as requested by a Registered Pharmacist.
B. Responsibilities/Non-Essential Functions:
* Make pick-ups and deliveries to nursing units as required.
* Process checks for co-pays and apply credit to patient accounts.
* Prepare funds for deposit.
* Page courier for deliveries to CSEMC.
* Clean equipment and work stations daily.
* Order and stock all pharmacy supplies.
* Assist in ordering medications through the wholesaler.
* Closeout and process end of day activity for the credit card machine.
* Prepare mail with proper postage utilizing a postage meter.
* Utilize an automatic letter opener to organize incoming mail.
* Assist in preparation of yearly pharmacy inventory.
V. Reporting Requirements:
* Reports directly to the Pharmacy Manager at staff meetings and as requested.
* Reports daily to all pharmacists on staff.
* Shall be accountable for maintaining the confidentiality, privacy, and security of protected health information for the health center, medical staff, and patient-related data.
* Shall be accountable for abiding by all state and federal regulations, and all health center policies and procedures.
* Shall be accountable for abiding by all Joint Commission on the Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations standards and regulations as applicable to the job position.
Minimum Education: High school diploma or equivalent.
Minimum Experience: Must have a minimum of 500 hours experience as a Pharmacy Technician Trainee. Must complete a state Board of Pharmacy approved exam for registration.
Minimum skills/abilities: Computer literacy with proficiency in general word-processing and data entry.
-Strong organizational, prioritization, communication, and mathematical skills.
-Knowledge of third party payers and insurance plans.
-Ability to understand the importance of and respect the confidentiality of all patient information.
Certification/Licensure: Must be registered with the state Board of Pharmacy.
Training: Must have all training requirements as set forth by the state Board of Pharmacy.
Special Qualifications: Must be at least 18 years of age.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled