- Pharmacist-in-Charge and must take on-call responsibilities for time that Pharmacy is closed
- Directs staff pharmacists and pharmacy support personnel. Verifies the daily activities of pharmacy technicians. Participates in the performance appraisal of staff pharmacists and pharmacy support personnel.
- Responsible for organizing orientation and training of new pharmacists. Works with lead pharmacy technician to ensure adequate orientation and training for new supportive personnel.
- Demonstrates the ability to implement new programs/improvements with minimal supervisory assistance
- Participates actively in hospital/departmental projects and/or committees.
- Assist with the scheduling for staff pharmacists.
- Assists with the coordination of vacation requests/holiday schedules for staff pharmacists.
- Is responsible for providing coverage for PTO when necessary
- Works with lead technician as necessary to ensure adequate support personnel coverage.
- Provides feedback to the management team in establishing goals for the department.
- Provides ongoing feedback to Pharmacy Director regarding pharmacy operations, including suggestion for improvement when appropriate.
A. Prepares and dispenses medication orders per physician request according to established
policies, procedures, and protocols
- Interprets medication orders/prescriptions (verbal and written) and transcribes into computerized patient medication profiles accurately. Maintains accurate, complete patient medication profiles
- Prepares and dispenses medications per orders/prescriptions written by licensed providers according to established policies and procedures
- Compounds and dispenses pharmaceuticals including: sterile, chemotherapy, and parenteral nutrition preparations accurately
- Issues controlled substances to patient care areas and maintains records as required by law
B. Ensures safe, appropriate, cost-effective medication therapies for patients according to established policies, procedures, and protocols
- Monitors drug therapy regimens for contraindications, drug-drug interactions, drug-food interactions, drug-laboratory test interactions, allergies, appropriateness of drug and dose, and therapeutic duplications
- Participates in the pharmacokinetics consult service and drug dosing per organizational protocol
- Supports the pharmacy’s pharmacoeconomic efforts and Antimicrobial Stewardship program
- Reviews/interprets culture and susceptibility data for antibiotic appropriateness and recommends changes, as needed
- Reads, extracts, and interprets information in patient charts accurately
- Sustains the formulary by minimizing non-formulary procurements, utilizing therapeutic substitution protocols, and promoting rational drug therapy selection
- Provides clinical consultation and clarification to providers. Suggests appropriate, cost-effective therapeutic alternatives to medical staff, as needed. Documents interventions accurately and appropriately
- Detects and reports suspected adverse drug reactions and medication errors accurately and in a timely manner
- Provides drug information to patients and their families
- Documents all clinical activities and interventions accurately and completely
- Participates in the quality improvement and medication use review activities of the department. Collects data; conducts quality monitors and inspections; and maintains logs, records, and other documentation as assigned
- Participates in the development and presentation of orientation, education, and training programs to the pharmacy, medical, nursing, and other staffs
C. Contributes to the quality and effective operation of the department.
- Performs all functions assigned with in the pharmacy and throughout the hospital
- Supervises and directs pharmacy support personnel. Verifies the daily activities of pharmacy technicians including medication preparation and use of Automated Dispensing Cabinets. Participates in the performance appraisal of pharmacy support personnel
- Works independently with minimal supervision. Organizes and prioritizes work assignments. Ensures pharmacy services are provided in a timely manner
- Accepts and completes special duties to be performed on a regular basis. Examples include: controlled substance accountability, record-keeping and reconciliation, crash cart inspection, quality assurance reporting, newsletter contribution and other special projects
- Inspects medication areas for outdated medications, proper storage of medications, proper medication administration records, and availability of reference materials
- Answers the telephone, identifying self and department. Directs calls to appropriate personnel
- Maintains all required training and education per department requirements
- Keeps pharmacy areas and equipment clean, neat, and well organized
- Assists with purchasing activities and maintenance of adequate inventory
- Performs essential duties of the pharmacy director in his/her absence
- Must be able to respect diversity of each individual’s values, culture, spiritual beliefs, and other socio-economic issues in addressing the needs of patients, visitors, and co-workers.
D. Maintains competence required for current job title/position
- Maintains current pharmacist licensure
- Attends and participates in departmental meetings, in-services, and quality improvement programs
- Attends orientation, education, and training programs. Reviews literature and other materials pertinent to the practice of pharmacy
- Completes all competence/skills assessment requirements
- Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor. Adheres to hospital and departmental policies and procedures. Complies with all applicable state, local and federal regulations
- Maintains safety-integrity-professionalism of pharmacy at all times
- Perform other duties and special projects as requested
- Provides courteous, cooperative, and timely service to patients, visitors, and staff
- Fosters a team environment by working cooperatively with all staff. Voices concerns and suggestions to appropriate persons in a positive manner
- Maintains strict confidentiality of patient, visitor, and employee information
- Wears hospital badge identification while on duty
- Meets dress code standards; appearance is neat and clean. Is conscientious in regard to personal hygiene
- Treats patients and families with respect and dignity. Assures confidentiality of patient records
- Maintains a good working relationship both within the department and with other departments
- Assists in the resolution of problems or concerns while being a supportive team member
- Consistently strives to promote great customer service in all aspects of the job