Under the general supervision of the Director of Pharmacy participates with patients, medical staff, health care practitioners in the provision of effective, safe and appropriate drug therapy.
- Reviews, processes and monitors patient medication orders to evaluate the appropriateness of use, dosage form, route of administration, regiment compliance, therapeutic duplication, drug interactions, adverse reactions and age appropriateness.
- Checks technician prepared or prepares for dispensing all medications for patient specific use
- Coordinates delivery of controlled substances to patient care units
- Maintain records required by hospital and department policies, federal, state and local regulations
- Completes monthly unit inspections of patient care areas, code carts and all other areas where medications are stored
- Assists with drug procurement and inventory maintenance
- Provide pharmacy consultation as requested
- Assists with precepting experiential education students from Schools of Pharmacy
- Reviews non-formulary requests and prepares formulary reviews as needed for Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee
- Participates in performance improvement activities using evidence bases practice. Implements Steward initiatives (therapeutic interchange, renal dosing, ADR reporting) with regard to efficacy, safety, and cost effectiveness,
- Participates in Drug Utilization Evaluation program, Quality Improvement projects and prepares summary reports
- Demonstrates as thorough knowledge of patient right to confidentiality
- Enhances professional growth and development through participation in educational programs, in service meetings, workshops and professional affiliations to keep abreast of the latest trends and laws
- Adjusts schedule as necessary in view of fluctuations in workload
- Significant interactions with nurses and physicians, also required substantial interface with patients
- Maintains a safe and secure environment
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested by the Director of Pharmacy
- Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
- Commits to recognize and respect cultural diversity for all customers (internal and external).
- Communicates effectively with internal and external customers with respect of differences in cultures, values, beliefs and ages, utilizing interpreters when needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned
Graduate of accredited School of Pharmacy; Bachelor of Science or Doctor of Pharmacy degree required. Advanced degree or residency preferred.
Hospital experience preferred
Licensed pharmacist in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
Important COVID Message
This position is subject to the COVID-19 Vaccination Policy for Steward Health Care Workforce. Employees in this position will be required to provide adequate proof of vaccination for COVID-19 by an FDA-approved vaccine prior to starting work. Steward will consider requests for exemptions from this vaccine requirement on the basis of medical condition or sincerely held religious belief in accordance with applicable Federal laws.
Please note, our Good Samaritan Medical Center is taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment - with confidence and without fear. Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [five-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience: Expanded hours will allow previously cancelled procedures to be scheduled as quickly as possible. Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families. Emergency Departments are reorganized to be a safe place to treat all emergency patients. A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout the hospital. A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient safety. You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled and professional way.
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.