At Steward Health Care System, we are committed to improving the health of our communities by delivering exceptional, personalized behavioral health care with dignity, compassion and respect. Our continued focus on the patient experience informs our caregivers in how to provide care that is respectful of and responsive to individual patient and family preferences, needs and values.
We dedicate ourselves in the communities we serve to delivering affordable health care to all and being responsible partners. No matter what your role, as a member of the Steward family, you are a specialist in the making every patient and family feel right at home, every co-worker a key to our success, and every referring practice, a team of prized colleagues.
In support of this, we commit ourselves to the following values:
If you are seeking a fast-paced, challenging position in an organization committed to achieving and maintaining a standard of excellence in all we do, our organization may be a good fit for you
(Briefly describe the overall purpose of this position - Why does it exist and how does it contribute to the overall organization?)
- Under the general supervision of the Director of Pharmacy participates with patients, medical staff, and health care practitioners in the provision of effective, safe and appropriate drug therapy. The pharmacist may be responsible for the purchase of pharmacy inventory to include narcotics and other necessary drugs, equipment, and items to insure availability. When there is an established formulary, the pharmacist is required to adhere to that formulary or follow the established procedure for exceptions.
(Use bullets for specific responsibilities)
- Physicians’ orders are reviewed for errors, or problems. The physician (first contact) or nurse is contacted when a problem is detected and a clarification is obtained.
- The order is entered accurately and completely into the computer.
- The correct medication is dispensed.
- All necessary documentation s completed; i.e., Profile Notes, etc.
- Patient diagnosis and allergies are always recorded as soon as available.
- Follows through on problem resolution and communicates any remaining problems at the end of the shift.
- Physician orders are processed within a reasonable amount of time as determined by department policy.
- Difficulties with workload management are brought to the attention of the Supervisor.
- Fills ADM fill lists when necessary.
- Manages workload so that ADM medications are filled and checked in a timely manner.
- Completed up-to-dates are filled and checked so that the ADM medications are delivered in a timely manner
- Investigates any medication errors noted during filling or checking of ADM medications.
- Accurately records withdrawals and returns or transfers on perpetual inventory sheets.
- Always performs daily count when required.
- Resolves any count discrepancies immediately.
- Correctly verifies anesthesiology narcotic box counts, obtains physician or CRNA signature and initials sheets.
- Controlled substance orders are ready to be delivered at the scheduled time.
- Puts away controlled substances in a timely manner.
- Ensures that checking of compounded sterile products prepared by a technician throughout the day is performed in a accurate manner.
- Manages workload, ensuring that IV admixtures and special solutions are compounded in a timely manner.
- Checks parenteral nutrition (PN) orders for completeness and appropriateness including incompatibilities.
- Contacts physician to clarify any problematic or unclear orders.
- Accurately enters PN order into computer and prepares solution.
- Minimizes waste of additives and base solutions without compromising sterility.
- IV delivery is checked so that delivery leaves the Department at its scheduled time.
- Is available to the IV technician to answer questions and provide direction when needed.
- Assumes responsibility in preparing special sterile product solutions, i.e., CADD cassettes, BARD bags, intrapleural solutions, chemotherapy, etc.
- Prepares chemotherapeutic preparations when required.
- Performs transactions on the CII Safe accurately when compounded, sterile controlled substance solutions are prepared
- Documentation is accurate and complete.
- OSHA recommendations for preparation of cytotoxic agents are followed during the manufacture of hazardous substances.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
1. Commits to recognize and respect cultural diversity for all customers (internal and external).
2. Communicates effectively with internal and external customers with respect of differences in cultures, values, beliefs and ages, utilizing interpreters when needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in Pharmacy from an accredited institution.
- Experience (Type & Length): Minimum one to three years experience in a hospital setting preferred.
- Certification/Licensure: Current MA Pharmacy license required.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.
Important COVID message
Please note, Saint Anne’s Hospital is taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment - with confidence and without fear. Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [five-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience: Expanded hours will allow previously cancelled procedures to be scheduled as quickly as possible. Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families. Emergency Departments are reorganized to be a safe place to treat all emergency patients. A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout the hospital. A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient safety. You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled and professional way.